What's new
What's new

0t--we dont need no stinkin skidway grease

I worked with a naval engineer, he told me years ago that "Banana Lubricant" is used for launching ships, and it stinks when it starts to smoke.

House movers in my area call local grocery store and order a couple cases for lubricating the beam surfaces that they side-slide buildings on... apparently, it's a common theme for good reason!

Of course, the added benefit that they probably weren't so concerned with back then, was environmental impact... by using banannas, they weren't using (very precious) petroleum, but they also were biodegradeable. I'm certain the yards were pretty nasty, but it wasn't oil, right?

I like to see the ship launching by air bag rollers. I supose they lift it up off the supports as they inflate them after it is built. I guess the rookies have to go in and pull the supporting structures out of the way as it gets lifted. Then another rookie has to go fish the air bags out of the water while hoping the new born ship doesn't crash into their little boat.
Isn't seniority grand?
Bill D.

I'm far from knowledgeable about such things but it would seem so much more controllable to build the ship in a "lock" that's essentially below sea level & kept pumped dry thru the end of construction. When the ship is finished & ready, flood the lock by slowly filling the "pool" and then open the entry doors.

I'm far from knowledgeable about such things but it would seem so much more controllable to build the ship in a "lock" that's essentially below sea level & kept pumped dry thru the end of construction. When the ship is finished & ready, flood the lock by slowly filling the "pool" and then open the entry doors.
As I recall those are called dry docks and are used when ships in service need serious repairs on the underside. For new ships however it's more practical to build them on land on cradles and slide them down to launch. Dry docks are too valuable to be tied up that long.

Back