What's new
What's new

1 big rotary phase convertor or a small one per machine

I have a 75hp RPC running a Doosan DNM5700 and Hyundai/Kia SKT250. This a 400 amp service with 200 amp just for the CNC's. They split the service coming in through two 200 amp breakers. So 200 amp for all intents and purposes.

I had a number of problems getting up to speed. First iteration was a 20hp RPC, standard flavor. Just to be able to start the machine and commission it. The machine could sit there turned on but it used an air curtain that had to be up to pressure. So I had an Ingersoll Rand 7.5hp reciprocating compressor. The air pressure would drop every few minutes, the compressor would kick on, then crash the control on the CNC.

Step 2 was ditch the IR compressor and get a Atlas-Copco rotary. I called ready to buy a 10hp and they said No. Rotary compressors must run long enough to get to temperature and burn off the contaminants. They said based on my air needs a 5hp would be better. It would run enough to work. They stressed it HAD to run enough. After the mind numbing noise of a reciprocating compressor I did not want to hear it running all the time. They said it was quiet.

I hooked it in and it was quiet. Like as loud as a microwave oven. It started and ran all the time and I didn't care. But it kept blowing overload relays. The Doosan also did this and freaked out every once in a while. So I invested in a 75hp ADX RPC from American Rotary when it turned out PG&E refused my 3 phase. This RPC has a cabinet full of soda can sized capacitors and is rated for inrush currents up to 6x max rated continuous without the current dipping.

That got me up and making parts and money. But I would still get freakouts every once in a while and I couldn't run the TSC, flood was Ok but the TSC still caused issues. Also the CNC and compressor would get overload relay trips. Finally PG&E came and upped my 200amp service to 400amp. That was ok but the BIG difference and I can't stress this enough was they upgraded my transformer from a 10kVa to a 50kVa. This along with much bigger wires and I never had a voltage drop issue again. You must go out and look at your transformer. If it's a little wimpy one no RPC/VFD or any other magic is going to work.

My voltage was 240v-245v, technically within factory spec..barely, this proved to be the solution to the overload relays tripping. Dealer tech manager said get a transformer and set it to 208v. The machine will be happier. I did and 4 years later I have never had any power issues no matter if I am running both machines flat out with coolant pumps/TSC the works going while the air compressor turns on and runs all the time.

You have to remember it's a system and you should look for the weakest link.

FWIW:

I had a 50HP RPC on one side of the shop, and a 60HP on the other.
Both RPC's were "local motor rebuilder" built units.
Both were Lincoln motors - as most all good RPC's seem to all be Lincolns.

My BP and engine lathe were on the side with the 60HP.
If I was just running the engine lathe, I would soon trip the heaters, and I would sometimes have to go turn on some other larger machine and let it freewheel - so's to pull the heat down.

I picked up a slightly used 60HP "CNC Certified" Phasemaster unit from a chum when he got 3ph ran to his place.
That has been powering my whole shop for many years (15?) and I never have an overheat situation with it.
It has a high and low switch, and there is one machine that I need to put it on high for, but otherwise - not.

Not sure how the fella one post up got 400A service w/o having the X and warrs updated?
But I spent a few years blowing X's as we went from 5KVA when I moved here (60A service for the whole farm) to 50KVA, and then they set a new pole and a 75KVA X and dared me to try to "blow that!" It's been 20 yrs now, and I have yet to blow it...

I now have about 1500A capacity on the farm now, but of course never use more than the 75kva X can keep up with as most of those buildings are now not used.... BUT WE COULD! ;)

Point being, that if you go with one big one, it should be a good quality unit, not just a "roll your own" unit.
Those are fine for most induction motored machines, but ...

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

FWIW:

Point being, that if you go with one big one, it should be a good quality unit, not just a "roll your own" unit.
Those are fine for most induction motored machines, but ...

I am thinking of going with one from American rotary, first impressions seem to be pretty good, but im going to do more research

I can only attest to Phasemaster.
This one that I have is prolly 25 yrs old, and have done very little to it in that time, and it runs 24/7 prolly 355 days/yr.

I would suggest that you ask here if others have any actual CNC experience with any particular make/model before you buy it.

However - even with my 60HP, I still need to run my air compressor in continuous mode when the Tornos is running.
Other machines don't usually care about it starting. (10hp)

I run up to 50hp CNC machines on this RPC.
Not saying that they wouldn't maybe run better on grid power, but they doo OK ...

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Not sure how the fella one post up got 400A service w/o having the X and warrs updated?

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yeah I thought about that after I posted it that the timeline would would sound off but it was late and decided to just go to bed.

I started with a 1P 200amp service #4 wires. I had a 20hp RPC for my manual machines. When I got the CNC's I just figured a quick call to PG&E and I would have my 3P 400 amp service in no time. They told me it would take a year minimum to get around to doing the work. Then the estimator guy started griefing me. The stories I could tell.

So 15 months later I give up and tell them I will buy an RPC. They tell me it will be only 3 months now. I called the CA Public Utility Comission and asked how to report being screwed with. They got PG&E corporate office on the phone (this was before they killed lots of people with fires so still gave a damn) and within a day they were out there to do the work.

It took them 2 hours. 50kVa transformer and 4/0 wires. Cost me $20k, the estimator had threaten to charge me $80k. The pole was in my front yard 25' from the drop. They said they could have done 3P just as easy. The installers were awesome. The estimator was evil. The stuff he did, he got canned shortly thereafter for playing games with other people. They were worried about lawsuits.

So my story above is me trying to get my machines usable over a 15 month period step by step. The first line was just to state were I am now. Sorry that wasn't clear.

I am thinking of going with one from American rotary, first impressions seem to be pretty good, but im going to do more research

Mine are all American Rotary. No problems at all so far. 9yrs on the first one.

As far as the other posts about transformers, they dropped a 50kva for my first service ( two 200a, technically 320a total ) and the guy that came out when I wanted to add another told me he looked up my actual usage and said he thought they could use the first 50kva. I got all excited because they are expensive. When it came down to it they required another 50kva.....it was like $5k just for the transformer.....sigh.....

Back