What's new
What's new

1 Ton Long Wheelbase Dually Flatbed Pickup vs Machine Height/Size/Weight

Maybe you addressed this but I just skimmed over much of what you wrote as if was pretty long.
A typical trailer that is rated over 7k lbs will have a max width - outside to outside of the tires - of 102"
What is that width on your truck?
Secondly, what is the height of the deck on your trailer vs the deck on your trailer?

I do not understand why the OP even asked this question. He has no intention of accepting any advice if given. This question has nothing to do with static weight tolerance. It is almost irrelevant. The elephant in the room here is weight at height because there is a maximum track width for all vehicles allowed on all roads. Exceptions can be made with special wide track vehicles under special, prearranged, supervised exceptions. That said, there is the risk verses reward that must be considered. In the end, it is the ability of the end rig's ability to withstand lateral acceleration in emergencies.

A question often asked here is the difference between 10,000lb /GVW and 4500kg /GVW...........because if a truck is rated at 10,000lb by the manufacturer ,its slightly over the 4500kg class,and the compulsory insurance jumps by $1000+ yr,and its subject to yearly inspections...........which are always a major pain..even if the truck passes.

Not sure how I missed this thread earlier and it now popped up?
Looks like a total cluster, and I mostly quit reading at the big reply...

Back in the mid 90's I bought an F650 (?) to haul machinery. The first load I had was a small Acme @ maybe 9000#. The road home was bad, so that had some effect as well, but at one point I didn't know if I was gunna make it home alive. And I wasn't going very fast in the first place. The load sits too high for a leaf spring rig!

Your bigger straight trucks (at least some) and semi trailers don't have the abil;ity to lean as they don't have independent suspensions, allowing them to handle top heavy loads much better.

That truck only did one more hwy load that I can recall, and I soon enough had a new gooseneck trailer.
WAY BETTER!

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

SAE8425;

The vehicle was an 07 Chevy 2500 hd, Duramax crew cab (yes, not as heavy as your truck) trailer weighed around 5500lbs. Bumper pull type. If I had it to do over I would have used both a heavier truck and trailer but I had been told it was a lighter machine.

I have since purchased a tandem dually gooseneck to do such hauling.

I've often pushed the limits ( and been over too) and understand your plight. A straight truck is much more convenient to drive but I have had close calls in my million mile experience commercially driving and whatever gives me the best balance of convenience and control safety is what I go with.

You mentioned slide in campers, and they definitely did tip over, and pretty often! As do motor homes. We often had conversations with other tow companies about the fact so many things are outlawed for safety but these top heavy, unstable vehicles are largely un regulated because they are largely owned by wealthy people. (there is also little government oversight or safety standards of these vehicles due to the labeling of "recreational" ) they also fly into a million pieces on impact of most anything at highway speeds! (Many are built of wood framing) driving them reminds me of being in a canoe with a portly passenger with no sense of balance.

Funny you should mention motorhomes.....coupla weeks ago an old guy (80+,maybe) drives a new 35-40 ft long MB motorhome into the supermarket parking area........I left before he would have tried to back out,although he would have had rear vision cameras.

The 'story' of moving a 20K excavator on a single axle straight truck is either all back roads skirting scales or pie in the sky.

Axle weight is limited to 24k at the most generally it's 20k so even if the magic truck had a 20k front axle almost unheard of even in heavy haul the truck would be over on axle weight. The only single axle trucks that even come to mind working are airport fuel truck chassis with out a tank. These trucks are generally over on axle weight for on highway use when full.

Trying to prove a point of general use with a specialty vehicle is moot. I have hauled several heavy 14K plus machines with a trailer being towed by a single rear wheel 1 ton across the country. I also have a Peterbilt tractor and flat bed to haul heavier stuff. Why would I even try to haul a machine in the bed of a pick up or on a straight truck flat bed?

The idea that you can 'get away with it' doesn't mean it is right or useful for others to emulate. You are some kinda 'super trucker' I hope you don't hurt or kill someone or yourself.

Steve

People come to San Francisco from all over the world so they can drive down Lombard street just because it is so crooked. I believe it is now only one way, Down!
It is not unknown for semitrucks to get stuck on top of hills in San Francisco, that are marked for no semitrucks, their landing gear gets jammed into the ground as they crest a hill.
Bill D

Attachments

• lombard.jpeg
    lombard.jpeg
    8.3 KB · Views: 30
  • lombard st.jpeg
    lombard st.jpeg
    15.3 KB · Views: 30
1 ton Pickup.............no go. Not sufficient tie down capabilities.......unless it a cab&chassis flatbed. C&C flatbed........risky. Truck suspensions are softer than trailer suspensions.

Trailer at, or around 10-13K GVWR. Piece of cake. Sufficient tie downs. Good suspension. (shrug)

Unless you're an idiot, that can't compensate for a top heavy load when driving.........best stay home, and watch the telly.

If you can chain down a load so that it won't walk, then it's golden. I just can't see what the big deal is.

high load.jpg 15K load out of Missouri.
high load2.jpg
5K+ load out of Arkansas

Geez dooooods.........WTF?. It's a cake walk.

You can't drive it like your little pickup truck. Take a modicum of care, and you'll get home in one piece, without killing all the orphans and nuns along the way. Unless you were part of the generation that had to wear helmets when on your bicycle ROFLMAO.

The key to safe driving is weight distribution. Fore, and aft. Make sure you're running max tongue weight, and you're golden.

I once got pulled over 20 tons overloaded ....D9G dozer on a float without the dolly ........back in the day ,the penalty was set by the magistrate .....and I got fined $200.........more recently I got pinged for 1ton overload and cost me $1100.,cause penalties are now fixed.

Dunno about US ,but here I notice small wheel two axle trucks with 16 ton gross legal...........so it would be quite possible to carry 9 tons on a 16ton GVW truck legally.

Dunno about US ,but here I notice small wheel two axle trucks with 16 ton gross legal...........so it would be quite possible to carry 9 tons on a 16ton GVW truck legally.
All depends on the axle weight when you go over the scales. Exceed axle weight, and you get a nice little piece of paper that entitles you to pay the State some bucks.

here you have 1/2 ton allowance on any one axle .....but exceed the allowance and youre up for the whole overload.,and penalties can exceed $10k for small infringements.............which all goes to explain how #3 on the list of state revenue sources is traffic penalties....collected something like $30 million penalties in six months for mobile phone use while driving.... via fixed cameras that are clearly posted .

1 ton Pickup.............no go. Not sufficient tie down capabilities.......unless it a cab&chassis flatbed. C&C flatbed........risky. Truck suspensions are softer than trailer suspensions.

Trailer at, or around 10-13K GVWR. Piece of cake. Sufficient tie downs. Good suspension. (shrug)

Unless you're an idiot, that can't compensate for a top heavy load when driving.........best stay home, and watch the telly.

If you can chain down a load so that it won't walk, then it's golden. I just can't see what the big deal is.

View attachment 384189 15K load out of Missouri.
View attachment 384190
5K+ load out of Arkansas

Geez dooooods.........WTF?. It's a cake walk.

You can't drive it like your little pickup truck. Take a modicum of care, and you'll get home in one piece, without killing all the orphans and nuns along the way. Unless you were part of the generation that had to wear helmets when on your bicycle ROFLMAO.

Is that goose a Jamies Welding trailer?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Personally I think you should go for it. You’ve done the homework, calculated every possible angle. The only thing I ask of you is to please please have someone follow you and video the trip and post it on TikTok because I really don’t want to miss this one….

Is that goose a Jamies Welding trailer?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
No. It was purchased in Colorado about 25ish years ago. Originally, it was a pintle hook trailer..........the dealer couldn't sell it, so they converted it to a gooseneck.

The small bumper pull is my build.

When we were doing the bricks ,our trucks would go through the Govt weighbridge legal,and the lady from the office would be waiting down the road with extra pallets of bricks to load up......as we just been thru the weighbridge ,we were never stopped by the portable scales that used to stake out the backroads.........the overloaded interstate rigs used to go thru the grounds of the old State Lunatic Asylum along the river to miss the weighbridge on the hi way

When we were doing the bricks ,our trucks would go through the Govt weighbridge legal,and the lady from the office would be waiting down the road with extra pallets of bricks to load up......as we just been thru the weighbridge ,we were never stopped by the portable scales that used to stake out the backroads.........the overloaded interstate rigs used to go thru the grounds of the old State Lunatic Asylum along the river to miss the weighbridge on the hi way
Portables are a huge source of revenue around here. They pull you over, and even if you're not overweight, you're subjected to a roadside DOT inspection. They will ALWAYS find something wrong.

Amazingly.............in all my years, I've never seen a school bus pulled over for a roadside inspection.

I used to pull piggyback rail trailers, and overseas containers on a chassis. Nothing was ever in good shape on any of them. Got quite a few overweight tickets, but never underwent an inspection. This was back in the day, when I did local drayage in Denver, CO. My feeling on the matter..........the railorad (BNSF) had a bit of political clout. But I can't say for sure. Probably just one of my stupid conspiracy theories.

Back