What's new
What's new

10,000 year clock update

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
called the Millenium Clock or Clock of the Long Now and largely funded by Jeff Bezos
it is under construction in Diablo Mountain ----west Texas---
property owned by Bezos

footage of functioning winder and differential

Machinists Inc of Seattle produced the components--then shipped
to Fresno for assembly and testing

https://vimeo.com/56495936

Attachments

• 1mi.jpg
    1mi.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 641
  • 2mi.JPG
    2mi.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,752
Time is relative. When the onslought of life is intense, and time slows to near nothing, that's when I like it the best.

Clocks are for those with time on thier hands ;-)

Does it come with a "lifetime guarantee"? ;))

Last edited:
We don't, but when you've got more money than God, you tend to think up stupid shit to do with it to impress people. Like buying a big ship and paying to have it sail around the oceans looking for worthless shit (historical or biological) so that you can say you discovered it. Even though no one would have given a shit if you never had.

In this case, I think Jeff is trying to chase some sort or immortality his money can't really buy.

Someday, some lucky dude that survives the collapse of society will get the opportunity to throw the proverbial monkey wrench in the gears of this contraption.

I'm not sure why this post came off so negative. Sorry.

that was a cool video, but I can't for the life of me understand the obsession with adding fucked up soundtracks to videos. I for one, would rather have been able to hear the gears moving.

We don't, but when you've got more money than God, you tend to think up stupid shit to do with it to impress people. Like buying a big ship and paying to have it sail around the oceans looking for worthless shit (historical or biological) so that you can say you discovered it. Even though no one would have given a shit if you never had.

In this case, I think Jeff is trying to chase some sort or immortality his money can't really buy.

Someday, some lucky dude that survives the collapse of society will get the opportunity to throw the proverbial monkey wrench in the gears of this contraption.

I'm not sure why this post came off so negative. Sorry.

Ah I see, thanks for explaining. But do I also read some kind of frustration? ;-)

Some years back there was talk of doing a "Long Now" clock on a mountain top in eastern Nevada, actually got to visit the site with a group too. Not sure if it is abandoned, still in the plans, on hold, or what.

Ah I see, thanks for explaining. But do I also read some kind of frustration? ;-)

Not frustration, just think its stupid for these folks to do these things and then try to make them out to be so important. I've seen quite a bit of it in the subsea industry. James Cameron, Michael Dell, the microsoft guy (Can't remember his name), Besos, Eric Schmidt, and others. All of them out digging around in the ocean for a buch of rusted shit that has no historical value other than finding it. Seems like there are a lot more important problems to be solved in the world than digging up old wrecks and building silly mechanical clock marvels. I mean, I could take a quartz oscillator, hook it up to a solar array and battery bank, and have it keep time probably just as long as this thing will run (without human intervention), and keep more accurate time, for probably $1000. This is noting more than a monument to himself intended to show his 'visionary' outlook on the world and "save" the human legacy... Whatever.

Back