What's new
What's new

100/Day Puzzle Startup -> Machines you recommend?

ManufactureMan

Plastic
Hello all,

I'm considering starting a wood puzzle startup and was hoping to get input on the kinds of machines I need.

I'm trying to start small with a 1-2 person operation and be able to produce up to 100 wood puzzles per day (see included picture for example).

Enough equipment to get an MVP out, and a small amount of scale in the beginning.

What kind of machines do I need to be able to produce a puzzle like in the example here?

Like machines you can program to cut patterns, print onto wood, etc.

81EV5Bi9E+S._AC_SX679_.jpg81RZZT1kVJL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Thank you for sharing your time and experience!
-Mark

Hello all,

I'm considering starting a wood puzzle startup and was hoping to get input on the kinds of machines I need.

I'm trying to start small with a 1-2 person operation and be able to produce up to 100 wood puzzles per day (see included picture for example).

Enough equipment to get an MVP out, and a small amount of scale in the beginning.

What kind of machines do I need to be able to produce a puzzle like in the example here?

Like machines you can program to cut patterns, print onto wood, etc.

View attachment 348162View attachment 348163

Thank you for sharing your time and experience!
-Mark

You see that dark border on the inside edge of the dinosaur puzzle? That's scorched wood from a laser cut. It's definitely among the best choices for puzzle making. The problem is that it's a big investment just for 100 puzzles per day, and if you make the investment you can immediately do much more than 100. I don't know what's out there, maybe there really is a laser cutter which is affordable for that level of scale.

It says it will cut wood cardboard etc, it does not say how thick of wood it will cut or how fast it will cut it.
Here is a portion of the specs from your link:

Model: SCULPFUN S9
Engraving Size: 410*420mm
Engraving Materials: Wood, paper, cardboard, plastic, white, PCB board, aluminum oxide, 304 Stainless steel, ceramic,dark stone
Cutting Material: Wood, acrylic, cardboard, fabric, bamboo, plastic board, KT board
Machine Electricity Power: 30W (It has nothing to do with cutting or engraving performance,just electricity consumes)
Diode Laser Power: 5.5-6W
Laser Wave Length 455±5nm
Engraving Accuracy: 0.01mm
Focusing Method: Ffixed focus laser + sliding device

BoxCarPete, thanks for replying!

Would something like this fit the bill?

SCULPFUN S9 Laser Engraver CNC Engraving Machine for Wood Leather Acrylic T7G5 | eBay

I can't vouch for any of those desktop units, the only thing I can say is that my old man bought a desktop laser engraver off a kickstarter, it was a huge disappointment, and I never gave the idea much more thought. That, and proper laser cutters which cut quickly and reliably cost a lot more. Do a lot of research before you make a purchase, but it does look like there is the full gamut from units costing several hundred dollars all the way up into tens of thousands.

Edit to add: the description on that unit screams Super China. That's not necessarily a bad thing on its own, but be mindful that such sellers do tend to be... optimistic about their specifications. If it says it will cut 12mm material, they probably left it there drilling a tiny spot hole for its maximum duty cycle, but it went through so "it can cut 12mm" goes on the page.

Thanks Pete, very helpful. Do you have a suggestion on a type of engraver that might be more suitable for a smaller scale operation?

Also, what kind of printer do companies use to print onto wood like the puzzle art?

You can use a small router and not deal with laminating the back boards. Slower than laser- but you will not have the charred edges of a laser, an extremely low powered laser to material thickness like linked will not lend to crisp cuts. We had one from the 1930s or some such dark ages at the duck factory- a hand scroll saw was faster said and done.

A waser might work. A number of people have good results with a waterjet.

A lot of the low volume stuff like that is hand painted assembly line with stencils. You can dye the primary color with dipping and dripping.

You can sub the cutting out to a laser shop or a commercial router leaving all the finishing for in-house.

You need to do more research into your business plan. You are competing with China, and will have to be content with paying yourself China wages. But you will have have USA overhead and environmental regulations. You best make sure there is enough room in the middle for your payments, as I personally doubt you can make it pencil out.

Agreed,you will be competing against 10000 women and children hand cutting with fretsaws for a few cents per puzzle......The only way you can get cheap production would be some kind of clicking machine,which is how cardboard puzzles are made in volume.

There are a few folks who don't buy cheap for the sake of cheap that don't want the poison laced Chinese crap. They are willing to pay a bit more for a tag that says "made in USA" though they would like it made on an American made machine with American materials too and 100 puzzles per day might fit into that slot for a bit, if they had some unique and interesting subject matter. If they look just about the same as the cheaper version you may have a problem moving the 100 per day

I mark parts with a 1390 size China CO2 laser with twin 130watt tubes. 130w CO2 will cut through 1/4" wood OK. Not crazy fast, but not slow either.

There is a learning curve. China lasers are kinda junky and safety is not a big deal to them. It's easy to burn yourself or lose an eye if you are the tiniest bit careless.

probably 2 out of 3 retired old farts have a china laser in their woodshops to cut wood toys for their grandkids. I bought four of them in a lot and sold off 3 real quick for more than a brand new one costs from China. The old guys were all over it because they didn't have to wait for shipping and they could see it work in person.

Op..I'm not sure you really have an understanding of your proposed project.
The dinosaur was cut with a band saw, evident by the kerf......the others probably, but maybe laser.
The dinosaur base was lasered then backed.
Then comes the painting......100 a day(10 a day) is not going to happen with spray bombs from Lowes.....you will need a paint setup.
You will need to prove yours is non-toxic as some kid will be chewing on it.
Also, they must look like cows etc.......what is your plan to do that? Nobody is going to buy it if the cow is all say brown with no details etc.
So bandsaw, edge sander, spindle sander, hand sanders, laser, paint system, vac system for the wood dust, boxes, packaging material and a way to actually market these.
Better back up and get a business plan figured out, you are a long way from buying equipment.

We had a full commercial wood shop with everything to do this exact thing....made some, absolutely one of the most stupid things we tried to make real money.
We were already making products that were selling nationwide so we had all those logistics in place.
However for an old retired guy tinkering around in his garage wood shop.....yea. But I doubt they will have the "look" of the imports.
Looks is what is going to sell these

BIG thing ...Insurance So some kid chokes on your puzzle and their woky parent sues you.....did your labeling include age and were all your bags marked for safety?

Last edited:
Kind of pointless giving more advice to a poster who went away a year ago after making five posts during his two days of activity. I watch the posting dates and activity figures of original posters on old threads.

ManufactureMan

Plastic
Joined Apr 29, 2022
Last seen Apr 30, 2022

Larry

Back