What's new
What's new

100'x100' shop cost to build?

chumlee

Plastic
I already own the land. I can do the sand/rebar myself I own a backhoe and bobcat. Ihave a team of 8 friends that can help lay the concrete. I want a shop with steel frame with steel siding and insulated. I can do the insulating. One of my friends is an electrician he can do all the electrical. Assuming I get excellent deal on materials, what will this cost me ballpark?

Sounds to me like you and your 8 friends should form a partnership and each design their part of this building and work up a quote for materials ( from that deal you're gona get ) and labor and dont forget profit for the partnership and come up with a price....

or do you expect people from thousands of miles away to take a guess? you can do that on your own.

How thick is the concrete, is there an overhead crane, what size widows, what size doors and how many, is there going to be climate control, where is it going to be built. These are all important factors in the price

Geta quote from a builder for a turn key job.
Add 25 percent to that number.
That will get you in the ballpark since you have 8 friends that will help.

All steel, you need to call Butler buildings. Most of the time the insulation is draped over the frame before the roof and siding goes on. You can save a bit of money by building it longer and not as wide. Do posts matter? 100' is a long span with no post. When I built mine I just had the local butler dealer put it up. It did not cost that much and they cracked it out in a few days as they had done lots of them and knew just what to do, no time wasted. I did the doors and windows and concrete. I also did the wiring.

With concrete you really get what you pay for. It pointless to pour your own concrete if you are doing more than a drive way. And I am assuming that you just might want this building to last a while, if so you have to make sure that the concrete cures at the same rate through out and in a certain time frame that depends on the temperature, humidity, moisture in the concrete and moisture in the ground. Also the concrete that comes in a truck has more air in it than anything you could make and you want very "fluffy" concrete so it handles the expansion and contraction that accompanies weather changes. Up there in North Dakota, where only a thin strip of barb wire separates you from the north pole you want concrete that can stand the climate. But there is nothing against you building the metal building yourself. They sell bolt together kits for any size, but you will pay a premium. But since this is a building with a pretty large span, I would suggest the kit because you know it will stand. They way I am going to be building a 40X60 is getting some oil field casting and just weld it together, but I will NEVER do my own concrete.
But the factors I listed earlier play a large role in calculating price. Doors and windows are expensive, if you're going to put in an overhead crane you will need engineered drawings especially if you have to pass codes. Now if you are in a city that requires codes this will get very, very expensive (basing this on Houston your city might be different). You best bet is to talk to a builder.

Last edited:
Bargain basement 4" concrete, two light switches with a 100 A service, and half enough insulation to keep an Eskimo from freezing, $20./sq ft. 8" concrete, finished well to commercial specs, 18' eve, enough insulation to be able to afford to heat it to 60F in January, 400A electric, big door to withstand 100mph wind, other necessities to make it a nice shop $50./sq ft.

Pick up any local agricultural paper and look up the advertisers in the building section. There should be several. Contact them and get quotes. If you do a good job of quizzing the salesmen you can get a good start on educating yourself about local building customs.

Grade preparation for concrete is just as important as the concrete itself. A bobcat and a backhoe loader aren't enough equipment to do a good job of grade preparation.

Easy 250-300K for the basics. Figure in 120K just in materials for a pole-shed, sides and roof.

I would say this isn't too far off. However, everyone else is right too.... I had "friends" help with a concrete garage floor years ago. We did the work in two days. Day one, helpers showed up...day two only one helper showed up by the time concrete showed up.
10 years ago I had a 40 X 64 built. Wood frame, 6" floor, 18" of insulation in the ceiling, 14' high ceilings, 2' overhang all around. I put in doors and finished all interior work including electrical myself. Still have $50k in just the building, not including dirt prep etc.
So, 4 times as big, 10 years of price inflation, a 100' wide span with a snow load rating for N. Dakota.... Yeah, $200k+
Concrete now is almost 4 times the price that I paid....

Sounds to me like you and your 8 friends should form a partnership and each design their part of this building and work up a quote for materials ( from that deal you're gona get ) and labor and dont forget profit for the partnership and come up with a price....

or do you expect people from thousands of miles away to take a guess? you can do that on your own.

WHAT?
You're not going to tell him and his 8 friends to buy 9 HOT DOG CARTS instead of
building a building??

Also you may want to find out about building codes. In my area any new structure 5000 Square or more has to have a sprinkler system. Most guys are putting up multiple 50X99 shops with a breezeway connecting.

Check on the building codes and your insurance carrier. I'm out in the country and needed a building permit. My insurance man told me he needed a copy of the building plans that was signed by a licensed engineer or they would not cover.

Your question is so open ended, it's like asking; how much is a new truck? You don't say anything about side wall height, floor load, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and on and on.

Sand? WTF are you doing with sand? The 185 yds of concrete might even be light, if you need an approach and sidewalks or the floor needs to be thicher than 6".

What are you going to do for water, sewer, and electrical? Are they all on the property? What will you heat the place with, a couple of torpedoes?

Sounds like you need to sit down an do your homework first.
JR

As many above have noted, you really want a GOOD floor for your shop, both strength and level. You also want a square building with a 100 foot span. This is NOT a span for people with limited experience.

Have your builder quote frame, floor, walls, roof, and ceiling (if you do not want to heat to go up to the roof). Then you and your friends can insulate ceiling and walls, and cover walls with metal (or drywall if you want to paint every few years).

Now you have a real number for the shell, and can figure material costs for insulation, interior wall covering, electrical and plumbing.

About two years ago my boss purchased a small car parts factory where they cast aluminium parts. the building has a full length power grid it is a little bigger than 80,000 square feet and is already zoned for industrial use. he paid about 150k for it. That is a 1.88 per sq/ft! I do not know what the industrial scene is like in North Dakota, but it pays to buy a older building already set up for this kind of work.

I do not know what the industrial scene is like in North Dakota.

Can you use industrial and North Dakota in the same sentence? :D

Look at the OPs name. His first post. He says that he has "team of 8 friends". There are so many holes in this that is't not even funny.

There are only 4 cities in ND that have more than 20K people. One of them is Minot where 15K of them are for the air base and support. IIRC, it's only around 8 cities that are above 10K people. A 100' square building would probably rate in the states top 10 largest structures if you leave out the hangers at Minot. If you didn't know, the state tree is a telephone pole.
JR

Back