What's new
What's new

10EE 1967 to 1946 Spindle Swap

seymoore

Plastic
I need a new bearing set in my 10EE spindle vintage 1946 I have a donor spindle (complete with flange etc) vintage 1967, can anyone think of a reason the swap cannot be made?

The 67' has additional woodruff key slots and different pulley(s) and may require realignment of the motor and/or motor pulley(s). other then that they seem pretty darn close is appearance and measurements.

The 67' had a gasket between the head stock face and spindle flange, the 46' did not any advice on replacement of the gasket? Monarch said there is no gasket ever, then they replied they have a replacement gasket but it only has four (4) holes, 10EE spindle flanges have six (6) screws. I'm confused.

TIA,
Seymoore

Attachments

• 10EE Spindle Flange Gasket 1967.jpeg
    10EE Spindle Flange Gasket 1967.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
I received a reply from Monarch, both machines have the spindle flange gasket part # EE-2621. They sent the spindle drawings for both machines, I am reviewing them now, its possible it will swap.

TIA

Since the bearings are scraped in to the original headstock, what do you need to do to maintain the original precision? I know Monarch's process was quite exact, Dave

Since the bearings are scraped in to the original headstock, what do you need to do to maintain the original precision? I know Monarch's process was quite exact, Dave
The donor spindle still has the front bearing set installed.

Scraped was probably the wrong word - I do that a lot. The bearings and spindle are fitted to the bore and marked. My question should have been, is it necessary to do anything special to fit the replacement bearings to the bore to maintain Monarch's original precision? Will matching the high marks be enough?

Dave

There are many threads on replacing headstock bearings. The bearings need to be aligned, and they need to face the right direction. Suggest you do a search for the prior threads.

I'm not replacing HS bearings, I'm swapping spindle assemblies. There are dimensional differences between the two spindles. I was trying to lessen the learning cure by asking if anyone on this forum had attempted it with or without success. After last nights mock up, with a few minor mods I am confident enough that it can be done, and will attempt it when the gaskets arrive.

Regards.

Back