What's new
What's new

10EE for parts?

Ultradog MN

Cast Iron
I just read the forum rules and didn't see that posting links to auctions is a no no here. Mods delete as you see fit.
There is a 10EE on Purple Wave.
Says it is non operational...
Maybe someone here needs it?

I bought it. Paid more than I would have liked but machines are very hard to come by in KS. Can’t wait to get it home and start fixing.
Interested to hear your evaluation of it once you get the lathe. I was one of the underbidders though not directly behind you.

I was hesitant to go higher given the state of disrepair and operating condition of the MG set, but hoping you are pleasantly surprised in what you find.

Keep us informed.

Dick

I bought it. Paid more than I would have liked but machines are very hard to come by in KS. Can’t wait to get it home and start fixing.
Cool!!
I'm glad it went to someone who will give it an honest evaluation and maybe some love.
As to the price you paid, consider that there was a dirty 6" South Bend on CL last week that didn't show much tooling with it and was an old gear change model. They were asking $1300 for it. Dunno what it sold for but the ad was only up for a couple of days.
At least you got more scrap for your $
🙂

I haven’t picked it up yet but where the exciter usually is on the round dial models there is a transformer of sorts in its place. Not sure if that’s how it’s supposed to be or if someone altered it due to exciter failure. Who knows it might fire right up and run but with the way my luck goes I’m not planning on it haha. Either way I’m excited to get it home and give it a good cleaning/inspection to see what I’ve got.

Interested to hear your evaluation of it once you get the lathe. I was one of the underbidders though not directly behind you.

I was hesitant to go higher given the state of disrepair and operating condition of the MG set, but hoping you are pleasantly surprised in what you find.

Keep us informed.

Dick
After 10 years of searching for a 10ee and always being a day late or a dollar short I was really skeptical I’d get the bid but after the long wait atleast I’ve get one.

Restoring the MG is cheapest.

Worst-case, we now have a VERY solid track-record of replacing it with single-phase DC drives with boost transformers and "ripple filter" chokes. That costs more, though.

"Low Priority" but I have several used THREE phase DC Drives to test as to powering off RPC. Those don''t need as much ripple-filtering inductance, but you'd still have to have an RPC, too.

MG, as "rotating power" Dee Cee source is still the smoothest at the spindle, but also the most wasteful as to conversion of energy out of the wall to spindle turns. It, too, needs an RPC, ELSE the tedious to do, but effective, Steelman-Haas conversion of the prime-mover 3-Phase motor to single-phase operation.

A Parker - or similar - DC Drive only wastes about 50-55 Watts as heat at balls-to-the-walls full-gallop, a tiny half a Watt when idle.

PLENTY of ways to keep that sweet DC final-drive making turns!
Great info! I appreciate all the knowledge and criticism is welcomed as this is my first monarch and as much reading and research as I’ve done there’s no replacement for field experience and sweat hrs.

Well I finally got the 10ee home and upon inspection it appears bozo has been the main operator for many years. The bed/apron seem the have had a serious lack of oiling. I assume the apron oil level wasn’t checked or filled in a few decades. I did manage to fire it up but it has absolutely no power and I assume that is the lack of exciter and the jerry rigged field voltage system they’re using to feed the motor not performing. The spindle nose has a few more dings and flaws than it should still scratching my head how that happened. The dc motor has been rebuilt recently so I would say that is in top shape. As of right now I’m feeling like it’s more of a parts machine than a survivor. This being my first Personal lathe I was gambling it would be a diamond in the rough but seems fate had other plans. I believe I’ll probably try and recoup my investment by either reselling or parting it out. Really breaks me to have to say that as I let very few things beat me!

... I’ll probably try and recoup my investment by either reselling or parting it out. Really breaks me to have to say that as I let very few things beat me!
If you decide to part it out, I call dibs on the top head stock cover :D
Seriously, contact me if you part it out.

Not fatal.

Six-dollar fix for that if it is. Brushes and timing to check, too. A(ny) broken wire(s) anywhere are just detective work, and the PM community knows where to look.

I have a spare spindle. But it VERY likely that careful stoning of raised dings and it will still seat a backplate.

So long as they 'got it right', yes. Big plus.

Previous owner of my '44 sold it (to me) because of a similar impression it was too big a project for his available time.

It was surely badly worn. But it can still make decent parts, even though I "owe it" a bed regrind.

A 10EE can JF doo that. The carriage is wider than its 20" travel, so wear doesn't affect it as badly as others.

Give it a pause for a few days. Re-assess. Share with us.

You ain't beat YET.
Thanks for the boost Thermite! However I fear the wear I’m speaking of is far worse than on can comprehend. The saddle v ways seem ok as far as no dings or heavy galling. The flat ways are another story.they are galled so badly when I run my fingernail across the flat ways it makes that sound you get inside your head when you scratch it. Running the carriage back and fourth I get about 5-5.5 thou drop from from one end to other. Saddle is worn about .013 on headstock side and about .003 on tailstock side so it’s definitely not square to the ways anymore. I know a good machinist can make great parts on a machine with known wear. I wish pictures would upload on here but it always says file to big. As far as electric goes everything looks complete and in good condition other than the lack of exciter. From what I read field weakening done incorrectly can make these old dc motors all but gutless.

Back