What's new
What's new

10EE Half Nut drive arms

CarbideTip

Aluminum
Does anyone have a 10EE apron apart at the moment?
If so would you mind measuring the hole centers of the arms that link the half-nuts to the crank?
Here's why. This is actually from a CVA but it's been repaired at some time in the distant past, and the hole centers are different from the 'good' one.

Supplementary questions: Are they bushed at the ends, and are they brass/bronze like mine?

1653166560377.png

Thanks in anticipation.
Martin.

(Like the new format BTW)

m-lud

Stainless
I will go out to the shop tomorrow and see if I can help. I have a 1962 10ee square dial.

I set a phone alarm reminder for 09:00 am tomorrow.

m-lud

Stainless
The holes for the pins are .375" on both ends. There is no bushing and hey are cast bronze. I'll call the pin a shoulder pin, as in shoulder bolt. They are held in place with a set screw from the side. I removed the set screw but a second set screw won't allow the pin to come out. I don't have the time to invest in removing the second pin or plug holding it in place. They are stuck. Its in good condition and it just needs oiling. I don't need to dissemble the unit any farther.
The holes are .375" and mine look like new.
I'm getting 2.0" center to center on both arms and the part number is EE3374 on both arms. 20220522_093723.jpg

20220522_093809.jpg
If you want to do the math the head of the shoulder pin is .625". The pin hole is .375"
From the outside of the head of the pin to the inside of the hole on the opposite side is 2.125".
It will work out to 2" center to center. Thats an accurate measurement.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

CarbideTip

Aluminum
That's just what I needed. Thank you.
My 'good' one is 2.034" centers. The repaired one in the picture is 2.083".
The pins are also 0.375".
I have a spare from another machine that is 1.993".
I think the design dimension must be the same, which is really what was expecting.

m-lud

Stainless
Based on the part number, EE3374, that's a square-dial part. The round-dial arms (parts picture E6-97) used a pressed in bushing (E6-98). It would be nice to know if the arms are interchangeable between round- and square-dial machines.

Cal

That could be useful information.
The information given above was from my square dial half nut arms
If the I.D. of the round dial's press in bushings are .375" and measure 2" center to center across the pin holes, they should work.
As long as the arch of the spine is the same. Clearance! :cautious:
It does appear there is enough extra material in the square dial's arms boss that they could have just bore 'ed to the pin size and just eliminated using the bushing.

Is there a round dial arm out there to measure?
Also, a photo if possible.

Edit
Take note of the photo in Carbide Tips photo in post #1
Then the photo in my photo in post #3.
There is a big difference in the spine. Carbide Tips is arched and mine have a flat. I Dunno nuttin now😐

Last edited:

CarbideTip

Aluminum
Interesting that the 10EE ones have the flat on the arch. Is this for clearance during assembly?
It's the same for the round dial according to the pictures in the 1942 manual.

On the CVA it's like this:
1653592739262.png

So there is plenty of clearance to allow the crank and arms to go between the half-nut slides.
Perhaps the 10EE is narrower here??
Also the 1942 manual shows bushed ends. I wonder if the arms were steel and just had bronze bushes.
Over here there were material shortages during WW2 that might have justified steel with bushes.
Was it the same over your side?
Martin.

m-lud

Stainless
The crank pins are in pretty close to the shaft so there isn't much swing out.
Comparing the round dial 10ee and square dial 10ee is what I was referring to pertaining to Cal's post.
Your thread brought up another question about the arms interchanging.

The round dial and the CVA may have been the same. Same era but the CVA may have overlapped the square dial 10ee. Not sure

Yes, brass and bronze and maybe even lead were in short supply over here also. Government restricted use. I wasn't born until later but I had Great Uncles and Grandfathers that fought. Lots of talk about the war days.