What's new
What's new

10EE possible motor issue

Seaman

Aluminum
Added another EE to the shop and have been sprucing it up a bit. The original WIAD had been removed and a Reliance MinPak drive was used for motor control. With the fixed field voltage, it would only run about 900rpm. So, I added a second Parker drive for the field, retaining the MinPak for the armature. The issue I have now is once you begin to reduce the field voltage, the armature amps start to rise. At about 1800 rpm, 35 volts on the field, the armature drive trips out at 15amps, no load. Is this a normal operating condition, or do I have an issue with the motor itself? Motor, spindle, everything turns freely without any noises. Machine had sat for some time and was sprayed down with rust preventative, so it did most likely sit for some time.

All I know right now, if you have any insight to how the current draw relates to armature and field voltage I'd appreciate some insight. Motor tag is missing, so I'm also assuming its a 3hp unit, 1958 version.

Thanks,

Dave

Do you know who the motor manufacture is? If it is a GE it is probably 5 hp. The reliance is 3 hp if I'm not mistaken.I don't think 15 amps is going to run it at 1800 rpm. The WIAD will put out some serious current.

I don't know the manufacturer, motor tag was definitely on top of the motor at the shaft end though. I can shoot a photo later and maybe someone can identify it.

I'm just a bit confused on the current draw without load. But DC is most likely a different animal, so I'm asking.

Thanks,

Back