What's new
What's new

10ee Round Dial Back Gear Bearing Removal

Hobby Racer

Aluminum
I'm rebuilding a 1942 10ee Round Dial back gear and have a question for those that have done it before. How do you remove the bearing closest to the main reduction gear without damaging the gear or shaft? The gap between the gear and bearing is almost nonexistent.

IMG_20220220_103758082.jpg

I'm rebuilding a 1942 10ee Round Dial back gear and have a question for those that have done it before. How do you remove the bearing closest to the main reduction gear without damaging the gear or shaft? The gap between the gear and bearing is almost nonexistent.

View attachment 342504

Can you post a picture of the front of the large gear?

If there’s no tapped holes in line with the inner ring of the bearing you would have to use a bearing splitter?

Kevin

Can you post a picture of the front of the large gear?

If there’s no tapped holes in line with the inner ring of the bearing you would have to use a bearing splitter?

Kevin

There are no holes on the back. A standard bearing splitter will not fit, tried that. :(

IMG_20220217_152315642.jpg

If all else fails, use a death wheel to make a cut as large as possible in two places and finish fracturing the ring with a chisel……remove the cage and balls, repeat for the inner ring!

Kevin

If all else fails, use a death wheel to make a cut as large as possible in two places and finish fracturing the ring with a chisel……remove the cage and balls, repeat for the inner ring!

Kevin

That is a last resort. The death wheel is more of a sledge hammer instead of a scalpel.

I drove a couple of small pry bars into the gap 180 out from each other and it popped right off. Don

That's what a bearing splitter is for....if a bearing splitter won't work you either need a custom tool similar to a bearing splitter or cut the bearing off the assembly?

Just so it's clear, when I say cut the bearing off, you start the cut with a death wheel and finish with a chisel to split the rings......this is how we remove drive axle pinion bearings that have a lot of press!

Kevin

View attachment 342504

I'm unsure why you cannot get a bearing splitter in there to remove that bearing, there's a radius on the outer ring, that should be enough to room to get a proper size splitter in there?

How To Use A Bearing Separator - YouTube

Kevin

I drove a couple of small pry bars into the gap 180 out from each other and it popped right off. Don

That worked great! I made a couple of wedges of varying thickness until I could enough of a gap to get my three jaw puller in there to finish it off.

I'm unsure why you cannot get a bearing splitter in there to remove that bearing, there's a radius on the outer ring, that should be enough to room to get a proper size splitter in there?
Kevin

My bearing separator was not large enough for this bearing.

It's good you got it off, you didn't mention the splitter was tool small.....

The only problem with bearings installed this way, you trash them getting them off!

Kevin

Back