What's new
What's new

10EE wiring

Tommy

Cast Iron
I just acquired s/n 43255 (1958) but have not yet had a chance to move it to my shop. Have not seen machine run but suspect that it is set up for 440V 3 phase. I talked to Monarch tech rep Dave Krinkie yesterday and he indicated that by changing the settings of several jumpers the machne could be operated on 240V without changing transformers, etc. However the offical factory postion is that the machine cannot be operated on single phase power. He mentioned that the the factory can furnish two pre-wired drive conversion kits. (1) a 7-1/2 motor and drive replacement that includes integral back gear box for operation below 40 RPM, and (2)a 10 hp version without integral back gear box for operation above 40 RPM. Prices on the kits ranged from around $9000 to $12,500.

I'm sure that these prices would be justified for a production shop, but obviously they are beyond the reach of us "piddlers". When I was a kid radio junkie in the '50's and '60's, vacuum tubes were mainstream technology, and I have just enough residual knowledge of the subject to be dangerous, but outwardly it seems that the DC drive could be operated on single phase without a lot of rigging, however the control circuits may pose a bigger problem. How about it? Can anybody shed some light on single phase operation without major alterations to he basic premises of the system? I really would prefer to avoid the phase converter route, especially since Mr. Krinkie mentioned that the stock system is somewhat phase sensitive.

regards,

Tommy

Tommy

[email protected]

Stainless
The 10EE electronic drive circuitry IS single phase. The only thing three phase on these machines is the coolant pump. These machines are not able to be run on 440 and or 220 though. The transformers in these machines are only a single voltage unit. So if you have a 440 volt unit, you need 440 to operate it-SINGLE Phase will work. This information is suitable for the drive units in the late forties to mid fifties 10EE's with the drive unit at the right side of the casting. I have not gotten into the late fifties and sixties units yet.

I have a wealth of information that I will post as I get some time including descriptions of what actually is going on with the drives and troubleshooting tips.

daryl bane

Titanium
Originally posted by [email protected]:
The 10EE electronic drive circuitry IS single phase. The only thing three phase on these machines is the coolant pump. These machines are not able to be run on 440 and or 220 though. The transformers in these machines are only a single voltage unit. So if you have a 440 volt unit, you need 440 to operate it-SINGLE Phase will work. This information is suitable for the drive units in the late forties to mid fifties 10EE's with the drive unit at the right side of the casting. I have not gotten into the late fifties and sixties units yet.

I have a wealth of information that I will post as I get some time including descriptions of what actually is going on with the drives and troubleshooting tips.
Brian,
I have a 59 EE, and as I look at the big schematic, the actual factory wiring blueprint, most if not all of the transformers are convertible from 230 to 460 and vice versa. Each transformer has a instruction next to it as to which leads to use for either voltage. I will know how correct this is, when I hook it all up.

danz

Plastic
daryl, consider digitizing your schematic and posting it in the DropBox. Can anyone suggest the best way to do this? I have an old A model Monarch Lathe assembly blueprint I'd like to get 'sharpened up' and digitized for the same purpose. TIA...

danz

Originally posted by daryl bane:
Originally posted by [email protected]:

Brian,
I have a 59 EE, and as I look at the big schematic, the actual factory wiring blueprint, most if not all of the transformers are convertible from 230 to 460 and vice versa. Each transformer has a instruction next to it as to which leads to use for either voltage. I will know how correct this is, when I hook it all up.

Tommy

Cast Iron
Daryl,

Portions of the big schematic for my '58 10EE are not legible and apparently the same problem exists at the factory. Would it be possible to get the missing details from your copy?

Tommy

daryl bane

Titanium
Tommy, since it looks like everybody has the same problem, I will try to get this print
digitized. One problem is that it's so big.
Maybe Kinkos can do it, so be patient with me.

Originally posted by Tommy:
Daryl,

Portions of the big schematic for my '58 10EE are not legible and apparently the same problem exists at the factory. Would it be possible to get the missing details from your copy?

Tommy