What's new
What's new

10K compound locking shoe saga

Anatol

Aluminum
Just making a report here. I'ver ben working through my 10K rebuild. When it came to removing the compound, one locking shoe would not come out. Initially I assumed it was stuck in with congealed bad lube, but weeks of soaking in PB blaster etc didn't budge it. Eventually I had to set the whole cross slide in the mill and drill it, then got it out with an e z out. By the time it moved, I'd removed at least half the metal in it. Once the compound was off, it transpired the shoe had rotated and was bound in - it had left a score on the cross slide surface. Has anyone experience similar? - why did it happen? How to avoided it in future? (I made a new one out of a scrap of 5/16 drill rod.)
thanks

Just making a report here. I'ver ben working through my 10K rebuild. When it came to removing the compound, one locking shoe would not come out. Initially I assumed it was stuck in with congealed bad lube, but weeks of soaking in PB blaster etc didn't budge it. Eventually I had to set the whole cross slide in the mill and drill it, then got it out with an e z out. By the time it moved, I'd removed at least half the metal in it. Once the compound was off, it transpired the shoe had rotated and was bound in - it had left a score on the cross slide surface. Has anyone experience similar? - why did it happen? How to avoided it in future? (I made a new one out of a scrap of 5/16 drill rod.)
thanks

Wow, that sucks, I am guessing it must of been nearly perfectly aligned upside down when it was installed and then got stuck that way, It seems to me it should be obvious from how deep the grub screw is as it is being snugged down? I will keep an eye on those next time I take mine off and on!

Back