What's new
What's new

13” lathe power feed operation

Heatingman

Plastic
Just picked up this lathe today. Id guess its from the late 20’s early thirties. But Im not certain.

Anyways, I was going through the operations of it manually getting familar- machine is not powered yet.

The power feed clutch operation :

The way it seems to want to work is just turn the hand wheel slightly right one way or the other and the power feed will engauge, slight left disengage.

But the hand wheel will travel many more rotations.

Trying to figure out how its supposed to function.

I removed the carriage to have a looksie. Appears something or may a few somethings are missing from the clutch assembly.

I ordered a parts manual for it that I believe will show what I need to know, but hoping someone knows off hand.

Attachments

• FEBEDBBC-A8BE-4394-95B5-EE99F5A9F6C5.jpeg
    FEBEDBBC-A8BE-4394-95B5-EE99F5A9F6C5.jpeg
    368.4 KB · Views: 38
  • A3B00ED8-29C7-40AE-AF12-25AC29DD80C4.jpeg
    A3B00ED8-29C7-40AE-AF12-25AC29DD80C4.jpeg
    428.9 KB · Views: 38
Your style is older than what I have seen. But I think you are missing a nut where that cotter pin is.

By turning the star handle on front, you should be drawing the clutches together to tighten up. Without a nut, the shaft is just pulling through, I presume.

My style was a bit different, no nut, but end of shaft had a step to be able to pull the clutches together when tightening. Top left of the pic is my shaft with the clutch plates stacked on bottom of it:

9.jpg

The back side of mine when installed into apron:

8.jpg

The screw in the middle of star handle has reverse threads on it, on newer styles, I would presume yours as well:

12.jpg

Where in the world are you getting a parts manual for a SB this old?

The star knob is your clutch control. Tighten it clockwise to lock it up (engage) and CCW to unlock it. When it is locked, your carriage handwheel shouldn't move (other than the slop). Unlocked, it should be movable.

Left is "star" knob - it tightens and loosens to engage or disengage feed clutch. Right is for setting either long or cross feed, and depending on age has either two or three position UP AND DOWN - up being one feed and down being the other. To move it at all you have to loosen and then tighten again at your selection

The rare Series N improves upon this biz.

Typical Series O stuff teens to late thirties

I had a '23 13" for a first lathe circa 1965

Real handy pub here from late twenties

Last edited:
Thanks all. I ordered a parts manual for Ozark Tool Manuals and Books. A reprint.

I think I figured it out, at least how it works. The actual clutch engage/disengage is 2 piece, no clutch plates. The threaded rod threads into the outer plate and it has a beveled edge that mates to the inner drum that is beveled opposite to meet. That inner drum rides in and out on 2 rods.

Wish I took pictures. I was able to take up the slop with adjustment to the inner most nut on the operating side of the appron.

I replaced the hair pin and added a thrust bearing between the pin and the outer plate.

I think that hair pin may need to be something sturdier like a spring pin.

I have it back together, but may take it back apart to upgrade the pin as I can see I have already bent the pin while testing it out.

Back