What's new
What's new

149 Spindle Turning

magno_grail

Hot Rolled
Pulled the I/O board to fix a different problem now it has the 149 spindle turning error and will not go into low gear. Everything else is working and I can slow the spindle using the keyboard. The spindle at speed signal never worked and the work around was to change the time delay to continue (Parameter 70).
Noted the Spindle Not Stopped (SP SP*) and Spindle Not at Speed (SP AT*) are always both zero under Diagnostics. I would expect the SP SP* to be 1 whilst the spindle is running and the SP AT* to be 1 until the spindle is to speed then 0. Is this correct?
Diagnostics show the spindle is in high gear. The SP High and SP Low LEDs in the I/O board never light. It already is in high gear so that one is not expected.
M41 gives the same 149 alarm.

checking wiring, the spindle status 780 goes to the I/O board. Both SP SP* and SP AT* are always 0.75 volts with spindle stopped, accelerating or running. Wire 781 is supposed to be +12 volts but reads 0.75 volts. That is the only +12 volts supplied to the spindle drive as far as I can see. Cable 860A is +12 volts and logic ground and read correct. No continuity between 860A +12 volts and 781 wire.
Guess next is to pull the I/O board again and trace the 781 +12 volt pin.
Machine is a '91, Motif is an '89, I/O board is a '99

Pulled the I/O board again.
NOTE: Numbering of the pins with the edge of the board facing you is 0 (on the right) to N. Pin 0 is the shield
In the manual cable numbering the 0 wire is the shield. So 780 is the shield, 781 is pin 1, 782 is pin 2, et cetera.
Cable 780 from right to left:
0 - Shield
1 - +12V
2 - Fault
3 - At Speed
4 - Stopped
Pin 1 is labeled as +12VDC (Spindle Drive CN1-25) in the manuals but is jumpered to 12 V Return P11-2 (860A)
Jumpers 1-7 are all configured to the Sink arrangement per drawing on lower left edge of board. Earlier boards do not have the jumper blocks.

Back