What's new
What's new

15K Spindle Warmup Dilemma

This topic frequently gets beat to death.

I don’t understand why so many folks find it impossible to just look in the manual for their machine, and run the warmup procedure as specified by the manufacturer.

Thanks for the reply. My manual recommends warming up the spindle if the machine has been idle for 4 days+ or if you are going to use it at high RPM right away...which I knew before posting this. My question was...if I'm not using it over 13k, do I need to run it up to 15k in the warmup. I read through other forum posts that didn't answer that specific question. At any rate, I appreciate everyone taking the time to pitch in with their thoughts/experience. Seems the consensus is to stick with the manufacturers recommendation, which works for me!

Last edited:
Barring a crash or contamination, spindle life is based on the number of revolutions, which controls the number of fatigue cycles on the bearing races. If you lower the RPM, you have to lower the feed rate to keep the same chip thickness, so parts take longer to cut, but still require the same number of spindle rotations. For the most part, the spindle life in terms of the number of parts you get out of it does not significantly change if you lower the speed from 15k to 13k RPM. It's probably better to think in terms of the number of parts the spindle can make as opposed to how many hours it can rotate.
That's great. I was concerned that running at max RPM might generate more heat or create other conditions that would fatigue the spindle. My last spindle siezed after running it at 15k all day. It had never been crashed or bumped, did fairly light duty work, and no lubrication or contamination issues were identified. Maybe just a lemon. Otherwise, the Haas has been perfect for my applications and the service has been great. Hoping to add a second asap.

Okay, you've asked the question and we've had some good discussion. In my past life one thing I was responsible for was finding root cause of failures in complex mechanical systems and suggesting fixes or changes. If I were a bearing in a machine, I probably wouldn't like going from zero to 15K RPM instantly, over and over, throughout the day.

If your part cycles happen to sit between cycles and then the fifth line out of the program takes the spindle back to max, instantly, I might try this: add in maybe 30 seconds to a minute of warm up at the start of the cycle. Maybe start the spindle at 2K RPM? 1K RPM? Give the oil a chance to distribute around the bearings, let the air flow do its thing and then let the cycle commence.

It's a minimum lubrication, air-oil mist system. Like any lubrication system, it's going to do its worst from zero. This is probably not a bad idea on any spindle. It's a "waste" of cycle time but, maybe it's worth that extra to extend the spindle life.

Back