What's new
What's new

16" South Bend Engine Lathe Restoration

ezom

Plastic
Hello,

I am assisting a colleague in hunting down some parts for his South Bend Engine Lathe. I am new to this forum and know next to nothing about lathes, so please excuse any ignorance that may follow.

The lathe was originally owned by the US Navy, but eventually fell into the wrong hands. Now it is in good hands, but there are numerous damaged or missing parts that need replacing. I contacted South Bend but was met with an automated message noting that there are no operational manuals available, that they can't look up parts without part numbers (I don't have a parts list to get those numbers), and they referred me to this forum.

Below I have listed out info about the lathe and the parts we need.

Specs:
  • Model 117E
  • 8 Foot bed
  • 16 Inch swing

Missing/Damaged:
  • Need the parts list
  • Need the operator manual
  • Power feed gears missing
  • Damaged drive gear for power feed
  • Multiple oil caps damaged and missing
  • Missing thread chasing dial
  • Missing a screw mounting quick change box

Here is a link to my google drive containing pictures of the lathe and its missing/broken parts.

Lathe Pictures - Google Drive

It's a shame this lathe has been treated so poorly over the years - It's ready for some new life.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time

Hello,

I am assisting a colleague in hunting down some parts for his South Bend Engine Lathe. I am new to this forum and know next to nothing about lathes, so please excuse any ignorance that may follow.

The lathe was originally owned by the US Navy, but eventually fell into the wrong hands. Now it is in good hands, but there are numerous damaged or missing parts that need replacing. I contacted South Bend but was met with an automated message noting that there are no operational manuals available, that they can't look up parts without part numbers (I don't have a parts list to get those numbers), and they referred me to this forum.

Below I have listed out info about the lathe and the parts we need.

Specs:
  • Model 117E
  • 8 Foot bed
  • 16 Inch swing

Missing/Damaged:
  • Need the parts list
  • Need the operator manual
  • Power feed gears missing
  • Damaged drive gear for power feed
  • Multiple oil caps damaged and missing
  • Missing thread chasing dial
  • Missing a screw mounting quick change box

Here is a link to my google drive containing pictures of the lathe and its missing/broken parts.

Lathe Pictures - Google Drive

It's a shame this lathe has been treated so poorly over the years - It's ready for some new life.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time

I should have all the parts you need.
Send me an email:typing:
Ted
[email protected]

poor thing, looks like it's had a hard life. I was going to say that it might be hard to find the compound sliding gear for the banjo, but then I read Ted's reply :)

It really is a shame to see quality machinery abused like that - I'm not even a machinist and it makes me cringe.

Welcome to the forum, some of the information you seek is available in the stickys in this forum. This site may help: The SBL Workshop It is a worthwhile project, possibly not the most economical, but sometimes the personal satisfaction of restoring or renovating something is of significant value in itself. Please keep us informed of your progress. Jim

Back