What's new
What's new

1872 Brainard Standard No 3 Universal Horizontal Milling Machine

Hello again Engine Bill
I recall having numerous discussions with you in the past. I believe Mr. Michael Burdy (Bud) is the owner of that mill. You had given me his contact info back in 2018.
I had a number of conversations with him, after reassembling The mill with proper rivets etc..He was hesitant to disassemble so we had decided on pictures and measurements in which he would provide.
unfortunately I have never heard back from him. I have just recently tried to touch base with him again through email and phone call today as a matter of fact. I am hoping that I will hear from him. So I can make template of all pieces. I want to Thank You for your offer and your time
Best Regards
Michael Samson

Hello Reggie_obe
I did consider that at first because there was a foundry a little better than an 1 hour from my location, those services are no longer available to me. Since that time and after a lot of discussions with a number of different people who collect old iron, they sort have swayed my opinion to stay as close to original as possible. I would like to ask your thoughts and reasoning behind them, besides the fact that is not original.
thank You for your reply
Best Regards
Michael Samson

Easier to find a foundry that will do a one-off casting in Al.
Regardless of material chosen, it will function the same and neither will be original.
Once painted, what's the difference? Will a machine with an Aluminum door have less value than one missing the door altogether.

If you make a pattern from an original door, the copy will be undersized. The shrink may be significant enough that the door won't fit the cast hinge bosses.

I could think of a couple of foundries to try here in the states, but nothing up in Canada unfortunately.

I always like seeing machines of this age with the little details getting addressed. Please keep the pictures coming.

I actually have two projects that are likewise missing the cast iron cabinet door: a small 1880's Brainard mill, and a 1900's Napier Band Saw. Both are rare enough that I haven't found machines like them to reference, so I'm using catalog photos and measurements from the machines to draw up the replacement doors, both of which have a fair amount of lettering on them. I haven't quiet settled yet on making wood patterns the old fashioned way, or making CAD models and 3D printing the patterns, but like you I want to keep them iron.

Hello Reggie_obe
I understand what you are trying to say, but In my case the worth of the machine has no bearing on my decision, The machine will never be sold ever. When I get old and grey and cannot putter around in my garage safely anymore I will donate it to a museum so more people can enjoy it for the marvel of engineering and the pride in manufacturing it was for the time period or I will find a man that has the same passion, in which after years on this forum, should be no problem at all. also I am aware or the shrinkage during casting, which is why I am trying to acquire pictures from a another gentleman that has the only other one I ever seen. to calculate percentage correctly and build template accordingly to ensure I get the proper fit all around.
Thank You for your Time
Best Regards
Michael Samson

There is a foundry in Grimsby Ontario that does cast iron. I used them 8-10 years ago to have Steady rests and shelf brackets cast for my
Hardinge Cataract Lathe. Here is their link. You could contact them and see if they still would be willing to do something along the lines of what you want.
Unfortunately once complete the shipping to the east coast might be a little expensive.
Harold

Hello Mr. Mulder (Harold)
I would like to Thank You for your info, greatly appreciated I will investigate that option. I have a relative that makes frequent trips from Ontario to the east coast so shipping should not be a problem. Thank You for your reply
Best Regards
Michael Samson

Back