What's new
What's new

1941 Monarch 10EE

SIP6A

Titanium
The last 13 bids were by the winning bidder. What's up with that?

That was probably because the winning bidder had his bid in at $3550.00 The back bidder was in at $2995.00 Auctions being the scam they are the auction took the higher number as the next bid.

Spud

Diamond
That was probably because the winning bidder had his bid in at $3550.00 The back bidder was in at $2995.00 Auctions being the scam they are the auction took the higher number as the next bid.

After reading some comments here on how auctioneers can figure out what your max bid is, I stopped putting a max bid much higher than the current bid. But I know I still got ripped off at live online auctions, because of items getting bid up then suddenly dropping way down and starting back up.

How GovDeals usually end up selling for big bucks? In general, every single desirable lathe or other machine tool I have seen on GovDeals goes way higher than other aucton sites.

Milacron

Super Moderator
How GovDeals usually end up selling for big bucks? In general, every single desirable lathe or other machine tool I have seen on GovDeals goes way higher than other aucton sites.
People love to brag about buying something "from the gov'mint"... like they have an inside scoop on government transactions.... But sometimes it is because the machines are in unusually good condition...from a tech school where lightly used...that sort of thing.

donie

Diamond
Many later machines were delivered to major contractors but still belonged to the government.
The old round dial machines disappeared from gov facilities here in the 1970s, I have looked at dozens of these machines, and have not seen a single one of these old ones.
The one in the photos looks pretty good considering how old it is, and looks gov owned with the orange paint on the handwheel.
I have seen wild prices for the machines lately.

Mcgyver

Diamond
The old men on here are bitter and accusatory. Side note didn't think a round dial was worth that kind of money.

why exactly? value depends on condition condition condition + tooling, I'm not seeing why a round dial would be worth more less than a square, depending. Or is it just something about round dials?

thermite

Diamond
why exactly? value depends on condition condition condition + tooling, I'm not seeing why a round dial would be worth more less than a square, depending. Or is it just something about round dials?

"Square dial" had improvements. Most, not all, had to do with the threading function. If you have the choice, condition equal, the square dial is the better machine for usability and lesser hassle as to the intricacy and potential need of maintenance of the complex selector mechanism behind that big round dial.

Both of mine are Round Dial, but it isn't a part of what matters here. Happens I have separate Inch/Metric lathe that is better for threading and I don't even DO single-point often enough to have to give much of a damn, regardless. Taps and dies thing.

Square Dial are also "newer". But .... nearly all are so old by now that whom HAD them, and condition or if rebuilt.. are really VERY separate issues from production date.