What's new
What's new

1952 Southbend 9A Restoration

QuickChange

Aluminum
Yes, my 9B really IS a gem. I was very fortunate to snag it from the ORIGINAL owner back in the 70's as I recall. Retired Goodyear engineer had it. I'm sure he has passed on now, rest in peace kind Sir. He gave me all the original books/paperwork, and the lathe was pretty well tooled as well. Every once in a while, good fortune manifests itself. I was a 20-something youngster at the time, and this fine gentleman really gave me one heck of a deal on everything, including the wooden bench he had made for it. The bench was NOT super-well constructed, but it does the job and the lathe still resides atop of it:D. I figured if it was good enough for him (the bench), it was good enough for me;)!

I wanted to commend you on your offer to those of us here on PM, for all of those "spares" you acquired during your restoration. Many years ago, I acquired my micrometer carriage stop from a fellow PM'er through a similar offer for just $50! There was a bit of controversy about whether I was "worthy" or not to receive it, because I was a new member at the time, and had only a few posts to my credit. Fellow PM'ers went to "bat" for me, and I recall at least one longtime member/gentleman that even offered to acquire it FOR me (on the "DL" that is), and then forward it to me. That gesture just humbled me... Well, it turned out that avenue was not necessary, but I never forgot the generosity. Your offer of the steady and follower rests for $275 for the pair is just OUTSTANDING, and I hope some youngster starting out (like I was..) will be the beneficiary. Finally, I apologize to the members for taking this thread a bit off track, but I hope the "story" told is welcome.

evanthayer

Aluminum
Your lathe sounds fantastic including the story of you getting it! I'm in my late 40s and would have loved to have such a beautiful machine in my 20s.

It really is my pleasure to give back to the community in anyway that I can. I am really proud of the restoration I did and I couldn't have done it without the people on this forum. I spent a lot of money collecting parts (I am very lucky to be able to afford) and, although I TOTALLY understand why people part these machines out to make income, I also think the parts should be more easily affordable and available.

Yes, my 9B really IS a gem. I was very fortunate to snag it from the ORIGINAL owner back in the 70's as I recall. Retired Goodyear engineer had it. I'm sure he has passed on now, rest in peace kind Sir. He gave me all the original books/paperwork, and the lathe was pretty well tooled as well. Every once in a while, good fortune manifests itself. I was a 20-something youngster at the time, and this fine gentleman really gave me one heck of a deal on everything, including the wooden bench he had made for it. The bench was NOT super-well constructed, but it does the job and the lathe still resides atop of it:D. I figured if it was good enough for him (the bench), it was good enough for me;)!

I wanted to commend you on your offer to those of us here on PM, for all of those "spares" you acquired during your restoration. Many years ago, I acquired my micrometer carriage stop from a fellow PM'er through a similar offer for just $50! There was a bit of controversy about whether I was "worthy" or not to receive it, because I was a new member at the time, and had only a few posts to my credit. Fellow PM'ers went to "bat" for me, and I recall at least one longtime member/gentleman that even offered to acquire it FOR me (on the "DL" that is), and then forward it to me. That gesture just humbled me... Well, it turned out that avenue was not necessary, but I never forgot the generosity. Your offer of the steady and follower rests for $275 for the pair is just OUTSTANDING, and I hope some youngster starting out (like I was..) will be the beneficiary. Finally, I apologize to the members for taking this thread a bit off track, but I hope the "story" told is welcome.