What's new
What's new

1979 FUS-22 - Deckel Clone needs deep maintenance. Has anyone done it?

dazz

Stainless
Hi
My FUS-22 mill was purchased new from a trade fair (long before the Internet) by a plastics factory for making molds. Sept 1975. I think it is now overdue for some serious maintenance. Nothing appears to be broken or worn out. It basically needs a strip down, clean and fresh oil/grease.
I have the manual but it only covers operator level maintenance.
Has anyone taken a deep dive into one of these machines??
Any guidance would be much appreciated.

The photo/brochure was included in the original quote.

Image (172).jpg

Luke Rickert

Hot Rolled
I haven't worked with that machine but for my smaller Schaublin13 an overhead crane was indispensable for safe disassembly. (I did it without it once and will never do that again) You don't need a huge amount of capacity but a good quality 250kg ratcheting chain hoist located above the machine will make a big difference.

I don't think I have ever seen a detailed assembly manual for any machine, I just go slow and careful, never force anything, and take lots of pictures. These machines are usually logical but it can take some time to figure out how it all goes together (or comes apart)

I know we all live in hope of finding that pristine machine, but if a machine has been used for many decades it will have worn parts, that is simply how these things work. You will probably need new nuts and screws, most of the bearings and re-scraping to restore alignment wouldn't be a bad idea. It is all part of the process :)

Luke

dazz

Stainless
Hi
All of my machines are old but have lead a low use life. I buy them that way. I know their life history. No abused ex-training school or worn out production line machines. It takes me years to find them.
Ironically they have all suffered low maintenance, because they haven't done enough work to justify it. Typically oil, seals and belts need replacing. Decades of crud and chips need cleaning away.
I actually enjoy pulling them apart to see how they work. It was like when I was a kid, I used to take clocks apart. Now I know enough to put them back together.