What's new
What's new

1986 qt 10 turret removal

CrashGordon1

Plastic
Hey guys, I'm trying to pull my turret tonight on my qt10, it's an '86 with t2 control. I removed the 4 shcs from the black cover seen in the picture, and for the life of me can not seem to get the cover loose, trying to wedge a paint scraper behind it, put brass pins in the bolt holes to pry on, great big channel locks around it...I tried with the turret clamped and manually unclamped with the machine off, and on, checked the mechanical parts diagram and couldn't find anything that would be holding me up, it just wouldn't budge. If my memory serves me correctly this has to be removed to get to the spanner nut that holds the turret to the splined shaft as well as the screws in the O.D. tool pockets. Is there a step I'm missing or a better trick up someone's sleeve to remove this cover? I don't see any past threads with this problem which tells me I'm missing something or it's welded on there!

Attachments

• Snapchat-1704715072.jpg
    Snapchat-1704715072.jpg
    687.4 KB · Views: 9

CrashGordon1

Plastic
Nevermind I cracked it loose...used a 5/16-18 tap on the thru hole and used a shoulder bolt to pry it off, that sucker was really on there. Time to go ice my shoulder and get this hernia checked out...

CrashGordon1

Plastic
Now that we're at this point does anyone have a recommendation for getting the turret back on the splined shaft? Getting it lined back up is starting to be a royal PITA but I have help coming today. It's just not light enough for me to hold and also be delicate enough to feel for alignment by myself. Once I get it started I can use the nut to press it the rest of the way like a wheel bearing hub but I need to get it started first. Any thoughts?

cnctoolcat

Diamond
Use a long 2x4 or 2x6 placed under the turret, pivot off the rear of the way cover, and raise the turret. Then wiggle while lifting...,it will finally go.

ON EDIT: the turret/shaft spline is usually clocked with a pin, so make sure you have it oriented correctly.

ToolCat

CrashGordon1

Plastic
It's back on! Thanks for adding the part about it being clocked with the pin it all started to make sense why one of the splined had a flat milled on it. I really appreciate the advice!