What's new
What's new

1994 Fadal VMC 15 runaway motor/motors

wolfenstien

Aluminum
Good Afternoon all,

Hoping you can help me get my fadal up and running. I've used it very sparingly over the years. Honestly each time I use it I have to relearn what i'm doing. Don't get nearly enough time in the shop. Anyway a friend of mine has offered to buy it and so once again I'm trying to relearn my way to getting it fired up so I can demonstrate it.

Last I remember I used it around a year ago and everything was working fine. I fired it up this week and couldn't get the monitor to come on and the servos to stay on. Looks like I have a bad power supply. It won't stay on.

I ordered an ELE-1071 power supply and installed that today. Machine booted up but wouldn't come out of estop. Turns out I've got a 1010-4 axis control board grounding my +12v from the power supply. I was getting 12V with that wire disconnected from the power supply and around 4v when I hooked it up. When I ohmed that wire I could tell it was grounded. Opened my card cage and pulled cards until my resistance spiked. Seems like it was the middle of the three axis control cards.

Anyway I happen to have a 1010-5e card sitting on the shelf so I put that in and fired it up again. Machine needed to have the memory zeroed so I did that, and I also reset the parameters.

Only problem I have right now is if I take the estop off at least on of the axis are running away. I don't think Z is as it still has travel left and stay still. X and Y are butted right against their stops and I can't jog anything.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Can any of you point me in the right direction?

Probably makes since to manually back up both the X and Y axis and figure out which one is moving or if its both, and then once I've determined that maybe I can swap boards around to see if that does anything.

Not sure where to go from there.

If its just one motor running away where should I look. Any chance the new axis control board I put in is wired backwards from the one I took out and the resolvers/motor just aren't agreeing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Backing both axis off the end stops will be necessary, but before powering up the drivers again, put an Osci on the encoders and see if you have a feed back problem.

Backing both axis off the end stops will be necessary, but before powering up the drivers again, put an Osci on the encoders and see if you have a feed back problem.

Update, so I think my original assumptions where wrong. Looks like only X axis was hard stopped. Note my machine is a vmc 15 which does not have limit switches it only has soft limits and hard stops.

Anyway I backed everything off today and fired her up. No issues other than I still can't jog anything. What is weird to me is that all the motion control boards fire up and blink red and the DC control cards all have green leds so everything looks happy.

I did note today that the axis control card that seems to be shorted was a 1010-4 and the one I tried to replace it with was a 1010-5. I have a 1400-2a main card. From the compatibility chart I found online sounds like the 1010-5 board I have is not compatible. I have a 1010-6 board here as well, but it appears to also be not compatible with the main board. I may try it anyway as I've read that some combinations aren't supposed to work but do.

Question, Would have a non-compatible motion control board cause just that axis to not function? Because as of right now I don't think I have any errors, but the machine will not jog for me. Also won't turn on the spindle or anything else.

Another possible issue Is my monitor croaked so I'm using a computer monitor and may be missing part of the screen and thus missing part errors if they are at the top of the screen. I don't use this machine enough to remember.

Still could use the help if folks have an idea on whats happending, however its not a runaway axis.

Back