What's new
What's new

1995 MONARCH AVS 2013 in TEXAS

alcro1998

Cast Iron
I have always wanted a Lodge and Shipley AVS but just came across this beauty on eBay.

I am not sure if this is a lathe that is manufactured by Monarch or one that was maybe rebuilt by Monarch.

I really wish this thing wasn't 1500 miles away...

Hopefully someone here goes and looks at it or buys it. Does not help that it is sitting outside...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
No. It does not. The first TWO generations (DC+DC Drive, AC+VFD) had prismatic vee ways, not box ways.
Everything but the box ways is what I meant. Why would this machine have box ways?

I did wonder if Monarch had done a rebuild on the machine and added a tag for the rebuild?

Looks about the same as every other AVS 2013. I don't see anything wrong with the AVS look.

Do you not think AVS lathes were build well enough?

Not really. What makes that ugly thing 1/2 as good as the machines built in the 50's and 60's?

Monarch didn't give a shit about manual machines when they built that. That lathe was built from the ground up to be a low cost solution to meet the needs of the very small manual lathe market.

It's probably a rebadged Dean Smith and Grace - they had box ways and were sold as Monarchs

Why is it not special?
You started the thread with "WOW I have never seen one of these. I have always wanted a Lodge and Shipley AVS", so I assumed it had some design features that made it special? Does it have any unique features or functions? What is the monster control box for? Seems a bit large for just a reversing contactor set? Style wise its just a big slab sided machine, looks rather boxy, right down to the ways:D

You started the thread with "WOW I have never seen one of these. I have always wanted a Lodge and Shipley AVS", so I assumed it had some design features that made it special? Does it have any unique features or functions? What is the monster control box for? Seems a bit large for just a reversing contactor set? Style wise its just a big slab sided machine, looks rather boxy, right down to the ways:D
Yeah I am not entirely sure what I was talking about lol. I have for sure seen AVS lathes in the past haha. I updated the post :)

Yeah, I saw this for sale last week. That's located about 150 miles south of me in Brownsville, Texas. No money, no place to put it right now! Seriously, if someone wants me to go look at it for you, I can make myself available for a fee. That lady does get some nice pieces of equipment from time to time. Most of it comes from the Chicago area from what she's told me in the past dealing with her. I know she can get you better pictures to look at. One word of caution, these machines are probably stored outdoors down there. Not like it rains any down there, just saying. Ken

I have always wanted a Lodge and Shipley AVS but just came across this beauty on eBay.

I am not sure if this is a lathe that is manufactured by Monarch or one that was maybe rebuilt by Monarch.

I really wish this thing wasn't 1500 miles away...

Hopefully someone here goes and looks at it or buys it. Does not help that it is sitting outside...

This would have been built by Monarch. If it was a rebuild it would have an R at the end of the serial number.

Not really. What makes that ugly thing 1/2 as good as the machines built in the 50's and 60's?

Monarch didn't give a shit about manual machines when they built that. That lathe was built from the ground up to be a low cost solution to meet the needs of the very small manual lathe market.
Actually these lathes were build from L&S design and for the USN. Monarch did not modify the design that they got when they acquired L&S in the early 1990's. At over 9000 pounds, these were not light weight machines, and they were built by high skilled tool makers.

John

There is no way that I would buy a machine that came from that part of Texas (pretty much San Antonio and south). Went to one sale where they were using used motor oil as way oil and had a dirt floor in the shop with some machines near the "walls" sinking into the mud. Went to several auctions in SA where everything was just junk from lack of service. Maintenance down there is not job one.

There is no way that I would buy a machine that came from that part of Texas (pretty much San Antonio and south). ........................
Most of this stuff this gal sells comes from the Chicago area and shipped down to Brownsville according to her. At least, that's what she told me last year when I went down there. Her dad buys this stuff up north and brings it down by the truck load. Most of it goes down south into Mexico and Latin America. That that doesn't go is offered for sale generally on eBay. I wouldn't be surprised if some of it came out of shops down here too. It just doesn't look like the type of equipment we have down here in oilfield country. Ken

Back