What's new
What's new

1999 Bridgeport VMC 1000/22 4th axis help!

George_P

Aluminum
I have a 1999 Bridgeport VMC 1000, I am wanting to get a 4th axis of any sort installed. Synchronous operation would be the ideal setup, but having something that can index and hold a position would be great, I'd like to not be manually setting the position of the axis between operations (I need to machine 6 sides of a part, the ordinate 4 plus two at an angle). I've seen a handful of rotary tables, but the handle is on the wrong side, which I can work around and mount it on the LH side of the table, but for work flow I'd like to keep it on the right.

I have Siemens drives a dx32 controller, and I don't think I'm pre-wired for a 4th axis. Best option would be to find someone with a dead machine with a 4th axis (I'd probably buy some other parts off of them too!)

Anyway, I'm hoping someone can help, I've seen some nikken 4th axis on ebay for decent prices (as long as they'll do everything I'm hoping for) and I know those have been installed on Bridgeports. I'm just looking for some help narrowing down what exactly need to be done.

I should mention I have a complete copy of the books, so wiring diagrams and all that shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Thanks!

Back