What's new
What's new

20 year old cross slide lock mod still in use weekly.

GDL264

Aluminum
I rediscovered this forum today and though it's not nearly as busy as 20 years ago I thought I would contribute with something I use on my lathe most every time I use it. At the time I was a complete newby when I restored and repainted my 10L lathe with help from this forum. I always wished it had the taper attachment option basically only for the cross slide lock. One evening I designed a simple one my self using the lathe and an Enco Mill Drill I also just finished modding up with this forum. It works as a lock but also you can put "drag" on it that really refines the cuts I found. I also fitted a simple Dial holder that give you a cross measurements. I did change the clamping rod to brass later to make it even smoother if I recall. I also made a common carriage lock w/dial. Here are the old 300 dpi photos that I found today and they are kind of self explanatory. The last 2 photos shows what 20 years of of garage hobbyist use looks like today.

Attachments

• Saddle lock side.jpg
    Saddle lock side.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Saddle lock side wdial.jpg
    Saddle lock side wdial.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 71
  • Saddle Lock Top Lab.jpg
    Saddle Lock Top Lab.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Saddle dial fixtures.jpg
    Saddle dial fixtures.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 63
  • SB Carriage Stop Guage.jpg
    SB Carriage Stop Guage.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 60
  • SB Stops.jpg
    SB Stops.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 61
  • SB Cross Stop.jpg
    SB Cross Stop.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMGP0936.JPG
    IMGP0936.JPG
    508 KB · Views: 57
  • IMGP0937.JPG
    IMGP0937.JPG
    469.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Wow again, I just realized I posted this mod years ago and I have no recollection at all. Also, I have no clue how I made the taper in my stainless lock lever. I know I made it that way to match the tailstock handle. I guess my brain deleted it. I have been posting to often tonight, time to take another 13 years off lol.

So does it lock the cross slide so you don't have to tighten the gibb screws to stop movement ?
thanks
animal

Not totally sure what you mean but it restricts or locks the forward to back movement, I forget the names of the parts. It works exactly the same way as the the factory taper attachment lock. I use the lock mainly when making the final polishing cut to get a mirror finish or also helps when using a boring bar, duplicating etc. You have the compound cranked all the way forward to lock it and you set the depths with the dial, kind of a poor man's dro. I would never go without it after having all this time. I am 100% self taught so I probably am doing it wrong. but I usually get the part made I need.

Back