What's new
What's new

2001 Haas SL-20T been sitting 10 years

vonblowseph

Cast Iron
Howdy,
Just got this machine. Its been sitting for 10 years with no use. The controller boots up and everything seems to be okay with it.
It is giving us an A axis drive error (can't recall the actual alarm code). On this machine I believe that the A axis is the turret.
Been chatting with the HFO tech a little bit about it. At first we thought it was the solenoid that controls the turret moves. We replaced that with a new solenoid we got from Haas. That didn't help.
The Haas tech seems to think that the turret has got a crusty o-ring creating resistance and the machine doesn't like that resistance and will throw an error. He says that we should call a Haas Tech if we need to dig any further into that.
I would prefer to fix it ourselves. This forum has helped me fix a lot of things I wouldn't have been able to in the past.
What do you recommend?
Thanks for the help!

dealt with an older tanker mill that had been sitting for 4 years. even with a lot of elbow grease to go over the machine i found that most of the limit switches needed some love to get them to not stick. An a axis doesn't make much sense i'd be looking at pulling amps, cleaning, looking over connections, etc....its not just the sitting for years its the moving of that machine that can move some stuff around in the mix of things that opens up the can o worms.

Looking things over again this morning..
The alarm is a 164 A axis drive fault
Can't get the machine to do anything until we can get this alarm to clear.
We have been able to get things to move easily by hand. We have even been able to get the turret to move by manually supplying air to the air cylinder that locks down the turret.
Like I said... the tech seems to think the problem is corrosion in the tool turret.
hoping someone here has messed around with this situation on this Haas machine and can throw me a bone.
Thanks!

I did see this post via search... same item.
the gist: "Though the gain, acceleration, speed and loop error values were different, it was the motor polarity that was causing problems. The control was moving it one way and the encoder was telling it it was going the other way. Once I reversed that, it took off and seems to be running fine. Holy moly, what a relief.."
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/forum/threads/cant-contact-repair-shop.389238/#post-3735013

Maybe?? ? :-) a Friday bingo?

Back