What's new
What's new

235 Tool Index LS Malfunction Mazak QT 8 T2

Chips Everywhere

Cast Iron
I’ve been running into this alarm, 235 Tool Index Malfunction, on my QT8 T2 control. The turret fails to unclamp when Turret Unclamp is pushed or the turret is indexed.

The hydraulic system is working as it should. This alarm only comes on once in a while, but it’s starting to show up more frequently.

Has anyone encountered this on their QT8? Maybe a possible sensor adjustment or replacement? I believe a gasket is required for the turret, in case I have to open it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
it is a spline shaft. Where turret moves forward to disengage itself. Does the turret look like it drops down a bit?

or, it is hydraulic valve that is getting older

or it is a gravity

it is a spline shaft. Where turret moves forward to disengage itself. Does the turret look like it drops down a bit?

or, it is hydraulic valve that is getting older

or it is a gravity
I’ll have a look next time I run it. If I turn off the machine and wait some time and power it up again, it will start indexing fine again, but will throw the alarm again eventually.

It also doesn’t seem to be in certain tool positions.

How would one begin to trouble shoot the turret system? What components should I start testing?

Any recommendations for good sources for the relays?

After reviewing my manual and your post. I think these would be worth confirming that they are functioning correctly:

The solenoid valve for the turret that handles the clamp and unclamp.

and these switches:

PRS 4 - turret clamp confirmation
PRA 5 - Proximity switch malfunction detection

Do you have to full the turret cover off to inspect proximity switch function and the hydraulic solenoid valve?

Does your machine have TRIACs to unclamp the turret or RELAYS to operate hydraulic valve ( turret unclamp). In any case, just swap TRIACS or RELAYS with the similar type for troubleshooting

Last edited:
Does your machine have TRIACs to unclamp the turret or RELAYS to operate hydraulic valve ( turret unclamp). In any case, just swap TRIACS or RELAYS with the similar type for troubleshooting
Looks like I have relays.

6DEB5414-17AA-4AC3-81CC-B59E084ED363.jpeg

The turret relay (black) is different from the other relays (clear) and has a different part number. Maybe this was a problem at one point and it was replaced or is that a stock configuration?

I ordered new relays and waiting for them to show up.

If this doesn’t solve it, the hydraulic valve should be replaced next? I heard a clicking sound from the left of the machine when my turret started acting up, are these valves located in the turret or mounted to the hydraulic tank?

Can these valves be tested or are they just replaced?

Thanks in advance
B265C6DF-47B9-4EAC-9D42-54ABADA70214.jpeg2D22EDF6-A658-43C9-8DE3-688D594EFC06.jpeg

Back