What's new
What's new

25" Standard Lodge & Shipley

Here is a little Model X history: All of them originally had "chilled" box ways. L&S liked the idea of chilled ways from the 1890s to about 1948.

There were "little" 14 and 16" Model X and "big" 18, 20 and 22" Model X.

Here is a "big" 20, with box ways of course:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/johnoder/20X54ModelX.jpg

When the hard separate outer ways were brought out, they were box ways, as can be seen on this 20" Standard (based on 16"). This brochure is dated January 1949:

Brochure Scan pictures by johnoder - Photobucket

Later the 14, 16 and 20 Standard were changed to hard outer vee ways. Ken's '54 20" Standard is thus, serial 41697.

About this time period (early to mid fifties) the "BIG" 25" Standard was brought out, and Andrew's is one of those - also with hard outer vee ways.

I think from the photo linked in my post above, the only ones to retain the hard outer box ways were the 25" Heavy Duty, a really serious Model X.

I.E., Andrew's is no older than early fifties and may be later fifties.

By the late fifties/early sixties, the gents over in sales at L&S had killed the old X and gave it some new clothes, called it the Model 2X and named it the Powerturn.

John Oder

John, Dave,

I have a L & S catalog dated 12/53. The style of mine and Andrew's is shown throughout this catalog. There is a lot of pictures of all of the accessories that could be ordered for your lathe. Pics of machines being manufactured, and pics of some of the special machines they built.
If interested, send me a PM with you're email address and I'll try to get a scan made of the catalog. I promised Andrew a copy of my parts manual and it still hasent happened. So whoever ends up with the 25", I'll still be glad to scan the parts manual. Don't know when, between midnight and five in the morning, but I'll eventually get it done.

Ken

PS...John, I have a Powerturn catalog dated 1960, if its of any help dating things.

Last edited:
Josh (mmserv on the site here) got ahold of me and kindly offered me a bunch of tooling that came with the lathe when he bought it. Andrew bought the lathe from Josh.

I drove over to M&M Service shop in NW Houston today and they loaded the box (hundred and some pounds) with a forklift for me. 14 large drills and other goodies. Joshs shop does turning of small size items but large quantity capability (713-462-0955) .

Thanks for the tools Josh!

Attachments

• lstools1.jpg
    lstools1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 189

Back