What's new
What's new

2HP repulsion start induction motor using increased current, trips motor linestarter

It was useful to learn that increased airflow results in increased load for the type of blower we have. The suggestion to look for leaks was a good one.

I found a sizable leak as shown in this video.

Shared album - brad clements - Google Photos

The 'air chest' is in fact a room about 9x6x8'. The entire back wall forms a bellows. The wall is spring loaded. This video shows one corner of the bellows has been torn open, the black metal bar is one of the springs.

If there wasn't a hole here, the wall would move outward about 8" to compress the springs. That movement would pull a bar inside the air chest that would then close the intake valve from the blower.

When we get this repaired I will follow up in this thread with new current readings.

Thank you to everyone who commented on this thread!

The automotive repair people use a smoke maker to look for leaks around window & doors.

Success!

I spoke with the organ repair company. They aren't able to send someone to fix our organ until October. They said "just macguyver" the hole with plastic or anything else to mostly seal the hole.

I was able to patch it up with heavy plastic sheeting and tape.

The current draw dropped from 14.3 amps to 10.5 amps.

Thank you all for your assistance!

EXCELLENT!

Glad you are back in business. The 10A seems about right for low/no flow with a blower, given the marked FLA.

Yeah, these motors tend to run around 85~90% of FLA totally unloaded. Most of it is reactive. 10.5A is exactly what you're looking for.

Back