What's new
What's new

3/4-16 LH Form Tap

sknies

Plastic
Hello,

I am tapping 1018 steel and am in need of a 3/4-16 LH tap for a lathe job I have coming up. I am going to tap 2" deep, but the first inch is a counterbore, so only an inch of threads.

I have been using a 3/4-16 Guhring RH Coolant thru Form tap for awhile now with great success. They do not make a LH Form tap and a special has a long lead time.

Wondering if anyone knows of a company that has LH Form taps.
Also open to what has worked for other people as far as a regular LH tap.

ID thread bars have not worked well in this application, tapping has been better.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't found anyone who makes them standard. You say an ID bar doesn't work well, but did you try a carbide shank bar or steel? Also your speed and # of passes are critical for getting a good finish. You would have to use the tool manufacturer recommendations to get that info. People tend to run threading tools too slow. 1018 is going to want quite a bit of speed and larger DOC. Light DOC leaves a bad finish.

Jarvis Cutting Tools has made special chamfer form taps for me in the past. (like 1.5 rev start chamfer)
Whether they will doo a LH thread form or not - I wouldn't know.

However, I pinged them for a new project a cpl days ago, and not gotten a re: yet.
I have not bought from them in many years by now tho.

But I will say that I recently had MUCH better luck with some NOS Jarvis form taps in 304SS than OSG by far.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I just got off the horn with Engineering at Jarvis, and while we were there, I asked him about your app, and he said "Absolutely".

Jarvis Cutting Tools @ 800-258-7162

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Does your lathe have live tooling, if so you could threadmill it.

Or you could give that id thread bar another try by threading from the bottom up since it's a left hand thread, it's always nice to pull chips out of the bore if you can.

Last edited:
Almost defiantly going to be a custom. I have had great luck with Jarvis and North American Tool for custom form taps. NAT had a better lead time if memory serves.

NAT has made custom specials for you?

I thought that they purty much stuck with the standard specials that they had in their catalog?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I thought that they purty much stuck with the standard specials that they had in their catalog?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ox, I can absolutely tell you that NAT will not only make Blueprint-Special taps, but they do it in less than 72 hours!!

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Just recently had them make 1/2-13 LH Form taps. Their turn around was excellent.

Back