What's new
What's new

3 Phase Motor Wiring Question.

RonRock

Aluminum
I have a 2hp 3 phase Reliance Dutymaster motor that I want to use in a project . I will run it off my RPC.

It is a takeout off of a LPG pump. Explosion proof if that matters. When the pump was built they painted over the wiring label. I have searched and came up with what I "think" is correct wiring for my 230V RPC.

As the motor when received the wires are loose but some are still connected, so I'm pretty sure that I have this correct. Just a couple questions.

The motor has,
T4,T5,T6 wire nutted together.
T1,T7 twisted together
T2,T8 twisted together.
T3 loose
T9 loose
P1 loose clean cut
P2 loose clean cut
Green loose

So I think that I use,

T1,T7, line
T2,T8,line
T9,T3,line

Sound correct?

Wires labeled P1, P2 that seem to have not been used. The wires are cut but no conductors showing.

There is also a green wire. I assume ground.

I have never seen P1,P2 wires. This motor can be wired for 230 or 460 if that matters.

dalmatiangirl61

Diamond
Sounds correct and matches motors I've been working on. Encountered some extra wires, not labeled with P in one motor, best I can figure its a thermal switch, data tag is readable but those wires are not shown so its my best guess. I show continuity between P1, P2 and green wire, do you get same result?

RonRock

Aluminum
Continuity from Green wire to motor case. As expected.
Continuity from P1-P2.
Open from P1-Ground
Open from P2-Ground

I've done some Googling and from what I have found it seems that these (P1,P2) may be Power in and Power out. Not sure what they would be used for and it seems that in this motors previous use they never were. I'm surprised that they were not at least capped off if never used. I'm still guessing hopefully someone will chime in with real knowledge.

mksj

Cast Iron
Wiring is consistent with other motor plates for this type of motor. Most likely P1 and P2 is T-stats that are for over temperature monitoring and if NC usually will go open in an over temp. condition. They can be wired to a contactor coil or VFD input.
Reliance Duty Master Motor Wiring.jpg