What's new
What's new

3 phase wiring

flatheadgary

Plastic
i bought a southbend fourteen lathe about 3 years ago and can't figure out how to wire it. i've got the manual but i am an idiot when it comes to electrics. i did get a converter and motor but i don't understand how to wire the lathe. there are 3 wires and ground that go into the box but there are 6 locations. i tried the 3 on the right and it just froze up the pony motor. once i unplugged the lathe it ran fine. i am afraid to try 3 on the left for fear of destroying my motor. the only thing i am worse at than electrics is this computer. i have pictures but it tells me there to large. i don't know how to rezize them since i don't have this problem on any other site im on.

I have more questions than answers right now. :D

What is the hp of lathe motor, guessing 1 to 1.5hp. What kind of converter, and whats it rated for ?

What voltage is the motor wired for ? And what wires from your house or shop are going to convertor?

You said 3 wires go into the box. . .What box ? Converter, breaker box, something attached to lathe ? Cereal Box ? :D We'd all be completely guessing at anything without more details.

For pics, my solution is here:

SLK001 may have a more elegant solution to posting pics. Which I believe that files too large can be uploaded to your member album. Which I think resizes by itself. From there, you could pull picks from your album to post in threads. He had way better detail, and I lost track of where he wrote it. If he, or someone knows where, please link it here, so I can add to "posting pics" thread.

Last edited:
There are some good YouTube video's on how to hook up a phase converter.. Just search you tube for how to run a phase converter.

you all don't know what a fourteen lathe looks like i guess. the lathe has a 5 hp motor, i have a 7.5 hp pony motor and the box i am taking about is on the back of the lathe where the wires from the converter go to. i have a phase converter on a platform with the pony motor. i will try and post pics. also, the pony motor and converter work fine without the lathe pluged in so i know it' s the wiring in the lathe.

Last edited:
Many 3 phase electric motors can be wired for for high voltage 440-480v, or low voltage 208-240v. But the configuration of the wires change, usually at the motor, depending which voltage you need.

If you have 6 connections, it is possible that this is where you would need to jumper some together, for either high or low voltage. Or maybe 3 connections are for lathe motor, and 3 are for coolant pump or the like. You would need to trace the wires for the 6 connections to where ever they go to know.

5hp motor, is most likely started through a contactor. With a start switch activating the contactor. Is the lathe set up for forward and reverse, or only forward ?

The absolute thing you need to do is determine if the motor is wired for high or low voltage, and that will most likely be at the motor itself. And there may be a print on the motor tag or inside the small connection box at motor to show high or low voltage. Or the tag may only list one voltage. But you most likely need to open the small connection box at motor itself to check how wires are connected inside. The wires will have numbers on them.

If your convertor is using an idler motor to generate the 3rd leg for 3 phase, this is a rotary phase convertor, or rpc. Is this low voltage, 208-240v ? Most likely yes, just confirming.

After you know what voltage the motor is wired for, physically trace the wires to where they go. And trace wires from the connection box, and where they go. Maybe draw us a small basic print.

Last edited:
Found SLK001's posting pics solution here:

Create an album using the TAB called MEDIA at the top of the thread. Add photos to your album. Click on the photo you want to add to your post, select "COPY IMAGE" then just PASTE it into your reply.

when i bought the lathe the owner had it running and it was 220v. i went and asked him how he had it wired and he couldn't remember. it was 3 or 4 years ago. he was just guessing too. it has nothing to do with the 5 hp motor in the lathe. i am afraid to just guess how to wire it since i tried and it just locked up the pony motor. thanks for your guesses too.

O.K 220 volts is easy to check, do you have a meter.? You need three hot wires to the motor, change any two to change rotation,
start your phase converter and check voltage out to the motor..

Back