What's new
What's new

3 Unknown Steady Rest

jmhoying

Hot Rolled
I have 3 (now 2) steady rest from different lathes. Appear to be for 12 to 14" in size. I'm including one photo of each, but am including a link to a page with more photos (at least 3 of each)
As mentioned in the comments, it appears that Rest 1 and 3 might be from centerless grinders?
Hoping to get $75.00 each.
Located in Fort Loramie, Ohio, but I can ship.
Additional photos are at steady rest photos
Rest 1 - nylon contact points - 7 1/4" from base to center, 7 1/4" from dovetail to centerline.
rest1-1.JPG

SOLD - Rest 2 - metal contact points - upper arm was brazed in one area.
rest2-1.JPG

Rest 3 - has bronze contact points - 6" from base to center, 3/4" from dovetail to centerline.
rest3-1.JPG

Last edited:
Any casting numbers on the second one? Looks a bit like it could be for a South Bend 13". What's the measurement between the center of the V and the center of the flat?

Dunno what any of them fit, but think it likely that 1 and 3 are for cylindrical grinders of some sort, rather than lathes.

Obviously, they're not going to center the work above the bed.
I bet you are correct. The previous owner (now deceased), had a larger machine shop, but I don't think he did any grinding. He probably got them on a tool lot purchase.

On 1 and 3, could you measure the height of the centerline of the fingers from the base, and the offset from the corner of the dovetail to the centerline of the fingers?

On 1 and 3, could you measure the height of the centerline of the fingers from the base, and the offset from the corner of the dovetail to the centerline of the fingers?
#1 is 7 1/4" from base to center, 7 1/4" from dovetail to centerline.
#3 is 6" from base to center, 3/4" from dovetail to centerline.

Interesting. For my SB 12-3/4" I think the only way I'll get center and follower rests is if I make or modify.

They are out there, but the many, many, sellers price them as if they were made from gold. Everything South Bend seems to sell for rather inflated prices, if you ask me. And I have a 13" South Bend of my own. But I am not a "collector." I use my tools.

Rest 2 arrived here today. I appreciate the fast shipping and especially the great packing. Sandwiched and secured in a mini wood crate and sealed in heavy cardboard. Thanks!

It looks like it will be a very good fit on my lathe, from an eyeball check so far. With the V-ways seated it looks like it will be near exactly centered in both directions. I'll need to mill the other side to clear the carriage v-way and the saddle. And then decide if that 1/8" or so will be enough contact on the flat way. I guess it should be fine.

I'll have a better look this weekend after I finish with the work that's in the chuck now. Then I'll mount a rod through to the tailstock center.

SteadyRest.jpg

Rest 2 arrived here today. I appreciate the fast shipping and especially the great packing. Sandwiched and secured in a mini wood crate and sealed in heavy cardboard. Thanks!

It looks like it will be a very good fit on my lathe, from an eyeball check so far. With the V-ways seated it looks like it will be near exactly centered in both directions. I'll need to mill the other side to clear the carriage v-way and the saddle. And then decide if that 1/8" or so will be enough contact on the flat way. I guess it should be fine.

I'll have a better look this weekend after I finish with the work that's in the chuck now. Then I'll mount a rod through to the tailstock center.
Great, I'm glad it's going to work out for you! As for the packaging, I always feel that if you keep a heavy item from moving inside the box, it'll arrive safe every time.
Jack

Back