What's new
What's new

30-taper guys - what drill to make 100's of 17mm holes 65mm deep?

Finegrain

Diamond
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a drill to make a few hundred 17mm holes, 65mm deep, in 6061. ID tolerance +/-.25mm. 30-taper machine (Brother Speedio S700X1 16k RPM spindle) so torque is a concern.

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

The Guhring series 5514 works ridiculously well in 6061. The 17mm has 73mm flute length. These are non-coolant thru but you can drill 3-4 times D without pecking. I have used them in smaller sizes but hopefully the 17mm will do as well. Recommended feeds and speeds for 17mm in 6061 are about 5000 rpm and 120 IPM. They make nice holes and small chips at the recommended feeds and speeds. $360 at MSC. About 2 seconds per hole.

20220409_101228.jpg

I got my hands on a free 17mm solid carbide drill w. through coolant from Sandvik, I think this was about 2016 or 2017. Don't know what number (ie. corodrill 880 etc) it has but it has a yellow-brown-golden coating.

That very same drill has stayed in my toolchanger and is my go-to drill for popping larger holes in any material. It must have gone through thousands of holes by now, and this without ever using the through coolant capability. I admit it's getting dull after going through some ss316 with too high speed but that was a year ago. Still using it since I have no means of sharpening it in house and it works perfect, just a bit higher spindle load.

The chips it forms in aluminum (6082-T6) is remarkable, i never peck. Ever. Even when going through 68 mm stock (in alu that is).
90 m/min and 0.13-0.25 mm/rev. The finish is like a reamer.

If I would buy a new I would probably have to sell my kidney but damn that is the best tool I have to this day.

I use and MA Ford 229 series 16.0mm drill a lot. It is awesome. I think the load monitor goes up to the "o" in "monitor", so pretty good. Local Yamazen guys red line that thing on turnkey jobs with big drills, so I'd try it. I assume they sell a 17.0 version.

Regarding your torque concern, I drill a 16mm hole in 4140 in my S700 16k but have to baby it. I don’t know Jack about Al but imagine you could let ‘er rip. The insert drills with two little square insert really cut down on torque since it is kind of like only cutting with one flute, but I really doubt that is necessary for Al. Good luck!

You might also pilot the hole first, maybe 8mm parabolic or so. That will bring down the torque. Not sure carbide is worth it for only a few hundred. The MA Ford GP doesn't run all that fast. 229s are sick. more than my 2 cents.. good luck

Hmm... how does that work?

I'd be concerned about coolant starvation more than chip evac.

That's what I said. One of our clients turned me on to it. They drill 100s of thousands of nice holes per year in 6061 and I thought "this is a perfect CTS application". They said "No, we use the 5514" , they drill a little over 3 x D with it no pecking. They had a really good Guhring rep that turned them on to it. For the OPs depth, I would peck at 1.9" and again at 2.2". Still would be fast.

Follow up ...

Found an OSG EX-Gold List 1100 @ 17mm. It's HSS, but I really like the EX-Golds :). Only 60mm flute length, but these are thru so I can hit them from each side.

Running 1,500 RPM @ 30 IPM, 263 SFM, .01" per flute. That puts the loadmeter right at the end of orange.

Regards.

Mike

Back