What's new
What's new

.308 shot out barrel donor rechamber ?

Is the long action a magnum or 308 bolt face?

If 308 Re chamber to 30-06. Same bore diameter, suits a long action, 150fps more than a 308 would be better for 1000yds with 24-26" barrel length, no need to modify the bolt face, easy to get components.

At 5000 rounds I wouldn't bother personally. By the time you cut the tennon off your barely going to have enough diameter in the reinforce and the barrel is still going to be pretty average. 2500 rounds yeah but 5000 you've had enough fun :-)

You don't need to buy a top dollar premium barrel. Buy something cheaper and you can start with whatever profile and bore diameter you want. Buy it 2 or 3" longer than you want. If you stuff it up cut the chamber off and start again. If it turns out good cut the muzzle end to finish length

Is the long action a magnum or 308 bolt face?

If 308 Re chamber to 30-06. Same bore diameter, suits a long action, 150fps more than a 308 would be better for 1000yds with 24-26" barrel length, no need to modify the bolt face, easy to get components.

At 5000 rounds I wouldn't bother personally. By the time you cut the tennon off your barely going to have enough diameter in the reinforce and the barrel is still going to be pretty average. 2500 rounds yeah but 5000 you've had enough fun :-)

You don't need to buy a top dollar premium barrel. Buy something cheaper and you can start with whatever profile and bore diameter you want. Buy it 2 or 3" longer than you want. If you stuff it up cut the chamber off and start again. If it turns out good cut the muzzle end to finish length
My current R700 is a 300WM LA . I recently bought a pair of shot out 6PPC heavy match barrels to practice on for now. I'm thinking down the road just buying a new cheap R700 SPS in 30-06 as a parts donor , and buy a precision barrel blank and chamber myself. Just not sure exactly what caliber. I shoot 600 yds weekly, and ocassionally shoot 1400 yds as well. I'm leanning towards trying the 280 Ackley Improved.

If you have a long mag action already and you want to shoot 1400 I wouldn't bother with the 280.

Stick with the 300wm or go 300prc. Make it as heavy as you can a fit a big break.

You can't do a .30-06 from a .308 Win without some set back because the .308 has less body taper than the '06. Might be able to do a .30-06 Improved depending on the version.

So i'm guessing it can't be done ? Was not sure if you went from a short action round, that you could go to a 270 large action round. No worries, I also have a heavy contour .243 barrel i'm not using.
it can be chambered to any short 308 length .308 caliber i would set it back a few thousandths and rechamber to .308 win

I have a couple bolt gun takeoffs I've used for AR barrels, short course with 52/3's. Varmint profile, 1-14 chambered in 222. Cut the chamber off and start contouring.

One has 9k+ rds thru it. Another over 10k. The first patch thru them after chambering feels like silk.

With that action
7PRC would be a good way to go
all things considered a remage drop in barrel would do the trick
getting lazy in my old age by the time you buy the blank and a reamer
it comes out cheaper

I had the same idea .......get a discard 30" barrel from one of the F class shooters ,cut 4" off the chamber end and 1" off the muzzle .......plan fails when F class guys think discard barrel is worth 3/4 new price.

Re-chambering as in, cutting a new chamber:
My first thought was 30-06, but as has been remarked, case-taper means this will yield funny brass at least.
300Min Mag should work just fine, as you get a new throat and lots more case-capacity. Lopping an inch of the muzzle would clean that area up and you'd have replaced the throat and muzzle, the two high-wear areas of the barrel. If you did have a lathe to cut back the barrel by a couple threads or more, then .30-06 becomes very logical, but for 1000yds it's only *very* slightly better than .308. Sure, all things equal you get about 150FPS, but you loose some from the longer chamber and muzzle you cut back, so more like 100FPS. Not nothing, but still very likely to go trans-sonic before 1000yds.
Re-chambering as in replacing the existing barrel and changing calibers:
6.5 Creedmoor is what an awful lot of the cool kids are using for PRS out past 1000yds. Pretty much everything you would love about 6.5 Swiss, but based on a .308 case and designed for really looooong bullets. Not amazing for a sniper round because it's not got a ton of retained energy, but for clanging steel or punching paper, it's the going thing.

Last edited:

Back