What's new
What's new

4-1/2" Abrasive cut off wheel recommendations

CarlBoyd

Hot Rolled
Yesterday I pulled my last Norton Gemini cut off wheel out of the now empty box.

Cut speed is adequate, but I was not real impressed with how well they held up and want recommendations.

I use these on a dewalt angle grinder, not sure of the model number but 11 Amp motor.
I typically cut 1/8 inch mild steel plate, 1/4 medium carbon flat bar, and alloy steel round bar up to about an inch.

Thanks
CarlBoyd

I use CGW stuff, good performance for the price. I generally use .063 thick discs for cutting and they last a long time if I don't push the cut too hard.

I use SAIT abrasives oddly the local welding supplier stocks them, the thin cutting disks are awesome in a cordless Milwaukee grinder, zip through steel bar and last well, worth a go, oddly there is a factory in the U.K.
mark

We use the Tyrolit premium 2 in 1 a lot. Not sure how it would direct compare to the Norton stuff.

How bad are the Horrible fright ones compared to the good brands. I have not used enough to know if they are really worth the extra cost or not.
Bill D

Another vote here for SAIT! Only cut-off wheels I will use.
I do not know if they are the best? They could be absolute shit? And, I am just really skilled with the "death-wheel"? (I'm sure they are high quality)
The point is: they last pretty darn well. And most important, they are TOUGH! I have never had one come apart on me! (been using them since about '05)
Do not even factor price in the equation. Safety is concern number one here. If/when a disk decides to check out, it can/will EFF you up.
grinder cut off wheel accidents - Google Search

no point getting anything but Cubitron II (3M). a SAIT is maybe 75% of the performance, twice the dust and fumes. even if HF disks were free, I'd give them away (or toss them in the trash!)

(Iv'e come across some CGW stuff for free, tossed most of it, poor cutting and lots of vibration)

Last order in 2019 i made was this type 5" X .045 X 7/8" T1 Premium Thin Cut-off Wheel, Abrasive Wheels & Discs - 25 Pack - Benchmark Abrasives

bought 50 of them on ebay, they say the abrasive blend is proprietary, but they work for me. I bought 5" disks and use them in a 4.5" grinder. you can break a third of the disk off and it can still cut without blowing up at 12-14K rpm. in fact, never had a disk blow up, i've had half a disk get broken off when the cut suddenly closes up and pinches the disk.

my experience watching other people use cutoff disks: they murder them. pay attention to the cut, if you smell the epoxy of the disk burning then you're doing something wrong.

from about 2011 to 2018 i went through maybe 150 4.5" cut off disks without blowing any of them up. then i started getting lazy, when i found out its not actually that impressive when they do break so i put less effort into using them properly. but i do keep my face out of the way.

How bad are the Horrible fright ones compared to the good brands. I have not used enough to know if they are really worth the extra cost or not.
Bill D
I bought some to try out and they lasted longer and cut better than the Nortons I had.

Programmed via Mazatrol

You guys wimp out with 5" discs.....Viets next to my old yard use 14" cutoffs in a 9" grinder,no guards.....Afgan next door says there was an incident one day,and they put two Viets back together with the wrong halves.

I really like the metabo cut off wheels, fast cutting and seem to last pretty decently. the price is right as well

Back