What's new
What's new

4 line-shaft machines followed me home from a museum - history and 1st operation in 70 years

Dr. Hillbilly

Aluminum
The history as I can recover it:
1. A small museum acquired four line-shaft machines about 70 years ago
2. About 40 years ago the museum closed and the machines went into storage
3. About 20 years ago they were acquired for restoration
4. Two years ago the gentleman who was restoring them passed away and his son started looking for a new home for them, with the condition that the collection had to be kept together and to credit his father who restored them. I seem to be the only one who accepted those conditions, so now they are added to my previous collection.

First I must credit John and Phyllis Cotten of Covington Indiana who restored the machines, and their son Ron Cotten who has been searching for a good home for them.

The machines:
1. a Cincinnati No3 Universal from about 1910
2. a "New" Hamilton 16-Inch cone-head with the "Style A" quick change feed gears and long bed from about 1915
3 and 4, a drill-press and shaper in storage and not yet identified

IMG_0778b.jpgIMG_0765b.jpg
Those pins behind the spindle are pulled to select the feed. It was a very rare option which was not properly appreciated.

The good news:
1. They have not been under power (or abused) for 70 years, and the museum seems to have selected good examples

The bad news:
1. They have not been under power for approx. 70 years. Do any of you have advice on their resurrection? (I assume lube everything and turn it over by hand for some time)
2. The Cincinnati has lost its dividing head and associated drive gears. Does anyone know where I might find some?
3. The Hamilton has lost its steady-rest and taper turning attachment. Again, does anyone know where any are?
4. Both have lost their countershafts, so I assume I will be turning some cones unless there are survivors out there.

A question:
Where did Cincinnati and Hamilton stamp the serial numbers?

And for those of you who recall my previous posts - the concrete has cured under what will be my new line-shaft work shop, and the timbers are starting to go up (post and beam, locally sawn)

Last edited:
The history as I can recover it:
1. A small museum acquired four line-shaft machines about 70 years ago
2. About 40 years ago the museum closed and the machines went into storage
3. About 20 years ago they were acquired for restoration
4. Two years ago the gentleman who was restoring them passed away and his son started looking for a new home for them, with the condition that the collection had to be kept together and to credit his father who restored them. I seem to be the only one who accepted those conditions, so now they are added to my previous collection.

First I must credit John and Phyllis Cotten of Covington Indiana who restored the machines, and their son Ron Cotten who has been searching for a good home for them.

The machines:
1. a Cincinnati No3 Universal from about 1910
2. a "New" Hamilton 16-Inch cone-head with the "Style A" quick change feed gears and long bed from about 1915
3 and 4, a drill-press and shaper in storage and not yet identified

View attachment 396868View attachment 396869
Those pins behind the spindle are pulled to select the feed. It was a very rare option which was not properly appreciated.

The good news:
1. They have not been under power (or abused) for 70 years, and the museum seems to have selected good examples

The bad news:
1. They have not been under power for approx. 70 years. Do any of you have advice on their resurrection? (I assume lube everything and turn it over by hand for some time)
2. The Cincinnati has lost its dividing head and associated drive gears. Does anyone know where I might find some?
3. The Hamilton has lost its steady-rest and taper turning attachment. Again, does anyone know where any are?
4. Both have lost their countershafts, so I assume I will be turning some cones unless there are survivors out there.

A question:
Where did Cincinnati and Hamilton stamp the serial numbers?

And for those of you who recall my previous posts - the concrete has cured under what will be my new line-shaft work shop, and the timbers are starting to go up (post and beam, locally sawn)
I named them "balljoint" Cincy for the neat ball joint covers for the miter gears. I see this one is three step cone and would seem to fit the 1910 vintage

I had a partially burnt #1 1/2 one in the late sixties in CT

Attachments

• Ball Joint 01.jpg
    Ball Joint 01.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Cinc and Potter Johnston.jpg
    Cinc and Potter Johnston.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Dr. Hillbilly ,
I'm glad you could take in the nice old machines.
There is a Hamilton lathe larger than yours with a similar style quick change shown in this article from 1906
I posted the link in this older thread
Jim

I named them "balljoint" Cincy for the neat ball joint covers for the miter gears. I see this one is three step cone and would seem to fit the 1910 vintage

Yes, I love the ball joint covers! And I like your Potter & Johnson (I have a P&J 15" shaper)

Dr. Hillbilly ,
I'm glad you could take in the nice old machines.
There is a Hamilton lathe larger than yours with a similar style quick change shown in this article from 1906
I posted the link in this older thread
Jim
I love the "Machinery" download and will study it in the coming days, but I cannot yet find the Hamilton in its 718 pages!

Here is the Dividing Head from 1913 catalog, and many some what later versions will look similar
I have been told that the head on my LeBlond No 2-1/2 Universal Heavy is not original, and it looks like the Cincinnati. So perhaps I have a head for my Cincinnati No3 already! I could probably cut a set of gears in less time than it would take me to find original ones.

I have been told that the head on my LeBlond No 2-1/2 Universal Heavy is not original, and it looks like the Cincinnati. So perhaps I have a head for my Cincinnati No3 already! I could probably cut a set of gears in less time than it would take me to find original ones.
Handy book by them from those days

I found a catalog from 1903 which shows 4 steps on the cone rather than 3. What does your 1913 catalog show, and can I get a copy of it?

I found a catalog from 1903 which shows 4 steps on the cone rather than 3. What does your 1913 catalog show, and can I get a copy of it?
'13 more modern design - no "balljoints"

Here is a larger "balljoint" with what appears to be three step cone with double back gears

Scan from 1903 may be readable

Attachments

• 2 Universal 1913A.jpg
    2 Universal 1913A.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 36
  • fi69.cgi.jpg
    fi69.cgi.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 1903 Info Cinc Mills.jpg
    1903 Info Cinc Mills.jpg
    640.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
and can anyone correlate serial numbers to production years?
I never had much luck. I do know the alphabet was included by early thirties with A being for 1933. My big number 4 High Power vertical was simply B121M and was told ( about 1980) by CMM that it was made in 1919 - which of course is not what I see in the "serial" book which has the A being for 1933. :nutter:
(the serial book is Serial Number Reference Book For Metal Working Machinery) - which in no way is perfect being simply a volunteer effort by the used machinery folks

Last edited:
I have a No. 3 Cinci 'ball joint' plain mill as well. The serial number is just below the spindle nose. I believe mine is 3385. It also has the three step cone.

View attachment 397015

Thanks, I will check the serial number

do you have access to a digital scanner? If we need parts which the other has we can scan the parts for reproduction by 3D printing, cutting a mold for a casting, etc. In any case I have a scanner and scan parts for you if I have some that you are missing...

Thanks, I will check the serial number

do you have access to a digital scanner? If we need parts which the other has we can scan the parts for reproduction by 3D printing, cutting a mold for a casting, etc. In any case I have a scanner and scan parts for you if I have some that you are missing...
I would be more than happy to share info, measurements, etc. I do have some scanner access.

I have not yet belted mine up yet but it's moving up the list. I have been collecting parts to assemble a reasonably appropriate countershaft as well. Hopefully I will get to that one in the fall. I believe my basic machine is pretty complete and sound. I have the heavy universal vertical head and a rack-cutting attachment for it. I was able to find the correct universal dividing head for it a couple of years ago with the set of high-count plates! At this point, the main thing I would like to find is the drive kit for it so I can do helical work. Like you, I would be happy to find one to measure or scan and make the patterns and cast and so on. The fun is in the journey.

Ironically, I also have a P&J 15 inch universal shaper.

Eric

I would be more than happy to share info, measurements, etc. I do have some scanner access.

I have not yet belted mine up yet but it's moving up the list. I have been collecting parts to assemble a reasonably appropriate countershaft as well. Hopefully I will get to that one in the fall. I believe my basic machine is pretty complete and sound. I have the heavy universal vertical head and a rack-cutting attachment for it. I was able to find the correct universal dividing head for it a couple of years ago with the set of high-count plates! At this point, the main thing I would like to find is the drive kit for it so I can do helical work. Like you, I would be happy to find one to measure or scan and make the patterns and cast and so on. The fun is in the journey.

Ironically, I also have a P&J 15 inch universal shaper.

Eric
Bunch of "drive" photos

Attachments

• P1000726sm.jpg
    P1000726sm.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 6
  • P1000727sm.jpg
    P1000727sm.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 6
  • P1000728sm.jpg
    P1000728sm.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 5