What's new
What's new

5axis Meltio on a HAAS?

Kasper A

Plastic
Hallo from denmark, sorry if my English isn't the best, but I'm dyslexic (google is a good help)

Have any of you seen a setup, or know of one in the US where they use a HAAS and a meltio 5 axis system?

I can only find it with robots, however meltio advertise that they have several setups in the US with HAAS, just can't find any?
if so, do you know which CAM program they use?

Thank you for your time.
Bedst regards Kasper - Denmark

I am aware that Phillips Federal has a facility that has applications that use this system on Haas machines. Phillips Federal is a distributor of Haas machines that only sells to the US government and its military installations only. I'm sure these are available to others but I do not know of any other dealers that specialize in this specific application.

https://phillipscorp.com/federal/hybrid/

I am aware that Phillips Federal has a facility that has applications that use this system on Haas machines. Phillips Federal is a distributor of Haas machines that only sells to the US government and its military installations only. I'm sure these are available to others but I do not know of any other dealers that specialize in this specific application.

https://phillipscorp.com/federal/hybrid/

thank you!

I have contacted them, because we have a meltio setup, but have difficulty getting it to work properly!

Hope they can help

do you have any updated on this! I have a haas + meltio engine... struggling to make it work too..we could share experiences

Yes but Ian it’s not a real customer .. more a you tuber. And he dis it with Philips . It’s like an ad.
Wiiling to talk with real user.. how they did it, starting from scratch like us. To see real parts making proceed. They have more than 300 equipments sold around the world according to their web but i only see the same example parts on web sites and social media. Can’t believe that everything I so secret. Can’t find a community to Contact and share like titans or this post.

Yes but Ian it’s not a real customer .. more a you tuber. And he dis it with Philips . It’s like an ad.
Wiiling to talk with real user.. how they did it, starting from scratch like us. To see real parts making proceed. They have more than 300 equipments sold around the world according to their web but i only see the same example parts on web sites and social media. Can’t believe that everything I so secret. Can’t find a community to Contact and share like titans or this post.

A lot of the customers are government and defense, so less willing or unable to talk about their uses.

yes, it could be like this...customers under NDAs...anyway I don't lose hope of finding someone to share with! because if it´s only in govs and defense...it is not yet a tech prepare for small shops as they say...

yes, it could be like this...customers under NDAs...anyway I don't lose hope of finding someone to share with! because if it´s only in govs and defense...it is not yet a tech prepare for small shops as they say...

Hola, Diego.

What material are you working with? What trouble are you having? Can you share pictures?
It's has been a little while since I've run a Haas and Meltio, but hopefully I can help.

What challenges are you currently facing with your Meltio integration? I'd be interested to know.

It would be great if you could share them publicly here so we can all see - otherwise you may have just answered your own question as to why most applications with these machines tend to be fairly secret!

Hi Ian,

Sure. We have a HAAS VF-2 + meltio engine. Despite we have it since 2022 we haven´t made too much progress.
A very simple figure was made (a cube of 25mm per side 316L wire) in order to simplify the questions:

1717068398599.png

In the printing of a 25mm cube, in the last layer, the distance between the nozzle and the part was 3.9mm instead of 6mm as in the initial layer. What conditions should be modified to always maintain the 6 mm between layers? Do we need to keep this distance between layers as a process target?

How to improve the final dimensions with respect to the original dimensions of the cube.

With the conditions according to the table below, final dimensions (side and height) of approximately 25.56mm were obtained.

1717068437030.png

If the calculated layer height is 1.2mm, how / where / what parameters should be adjust so that the final dimension is as accurate as possible?

How to avoid deformation towards the inside of the part (belly)? See red line in the picture

Toolpath is zig zag
1717068592700.png
We use NX

Hi Ian,
If the calculated layer height is 1.2mm, how / where / what parameters should be adjust so that the final dimension is as accurate as possible?

How to avoid deformation towards the inside of the part (belly)? See red line in the picture

Toolpath is zig zag
View attachment 441455
We use NX
Finally, something I can be a subject matter expect in :D

I worked several years with an OEM developing a laser DED system. We also used NX.

The TLDR: parameters are geometry dependent and need to be tuned with every part. Also modifying one will affect multiple others.

For a laser system, the standoff distance (distance between nozzle and workpiece) is extremely important as the laser will become defocused very quickly which will alter the build process. One advantage of an arc based system is that it's much more forgiving in this respect.

Laser power, feed rate, mass flow rate (feed stock), overlap (distance between passes), and initial workpiece temperature all play vital roles in controlling layer height. Since all of these work together, my recommendation is to define a couple of these as shop "standards" and never change them. Then adjust the others to dial in the process or else you'll drive yourself mad chasing your tail. We chose power and mass flow to adjust the most.

I'm skipping over a ton of the finer details which will affect the overall process to keep things simple for now.

Infill strategy affects layer height to a lesser degree but we used it mostly to control heat distribution which is going to be the most difficult aspect of laser DED.

Overheating causes layers to flatten out, warp, and sag which is exactly what you see in your top layer and the cause of what you highlighted with the red line.

I've read entire PHD dissertations and sat through countless seminar presentations on thermal management for DED. It's no trivial feat to overcome. (Hint: no one's close to a perfect solution yet)

Depending on what your end goal is and how much material properties matter to you, be prepared to spend lots and lots of time in the depths of process optimization.

Back