What's new
What's new

7mm cartridge choices

tenmetre

Plastic
I have a 7mm Barrel, it is a match grade 7mm fluted stainless barrel. I have had it for a while now and I have two choices, Chop it up and use the material for something OR turn it into something. I have both long and short Remington actions (stainless) and a Steyr Mannlicher action that I could fit this barrel to. So far I have considered the 7mm Shooting Times Westener and the 7mm PRC. Which caliber would you choose? I would need a reamer no matter what so if 7mm Shooting for the Moon was suggested it would be the same cost so not a consideration.

What do you want to use it for?

Target only.

In answer to the questions posed by @thermite I am "of an age" so basically fraying at the edges. Been shooting for 53 years though so had some practice, still shoot every single day, yes - even in England this is possible but my circumstances are not of the norm.

What about the 7x64mm? I have a shelf full of Mauser actions, all large ring.

Sorry, twist I will measure later but it is 7mm (0.275591 in) on the lands so I can safely say the grooves are going to be between 7.2mm (0.283465") and 7.3mm (0.287402")

Last edited:
72+years here. Handgunner, "mostly" for the most-recent 50-plus.
:-)

You have a head start, which as we all know is an "unfair advantage" furthermore, you can shoot handgun with abandon, here in the UK we have to jump through many hoops to be able to do that(I have jumped those hoops) but I cannot shoot handgun in my back yard, Rifle I can so I do!

It's all a bit subjective but I try to follow the "six months and it's out" rule and this has been gathering dust for quite a while now.

There are lots of 7mm's.

What about a straight .284 in the long action? Very accurate calibre, can run an expander mandrel through Lapua 6.5x284 and have high quality brass. High quality competition level dies available. Probably getting very close to optimal case capacity especially in a 24" barrel so less muzzle blast and recoil than some overbore 7mm. Uses standard 308 bolt face.

There are lots of 7mm's.

What about a straight .284 in the long action? Very accurate calibre, can run an expander mandrel through Lapua 6.5x284 and have high quality brass. High quality competition level dies available. Probably getting very close to optimal case capacity especially in a 24" barrel so less muzzle blast and recoil than some overbore 7mm. Uses standard 308 bolt face.

I like this idea, the only query I have is: Is a 7mm barrel suitable for a .284 build? Sorry but I am in total ignorance of 7mm calibres and the variants, I like that the case head is .308 dimensions though as that saves me doing any grinding.

Yep sure is. Just need to confirm the twist rate and decide what your using it for / what bullet you want to use to make sure the freebore length correct. .284 was originally designed as a short action cartridge so a SAMMI reamer is going to have a very shoot freebore. If your based in the UK look for a gunsmith that is building F class target rifles as he will likely have a reamer and be able to work with you on what throat length you'll need to end up with.

If it's an 8 to 9 twist, stick to the long actions. Straight 284 if it's a standard bolt face, or 7 SAUM if it's magnum.
I was going to mention the SAUM but brass is getting harder to find and not sure if it's going to be around forever. I find it strange that Lapua won't make SAUM or WSM brass but has started making 6.5PRC and 300PRC all non belted magnum cases.

With Gaskill 7mm-08 came to mind as well as 7mm 06 if cases for the 280 Remington are not widely available. Case availability would be high on my list for this choice. Since the OP is in Europe, the old 7 x 57 would be high on my list since ammo and cases and components should be easy to get on the other side of the pond.

I like the 7mm 08 idea but I know someone with a .284 reamer so that looks like the route I will go. I will put pics up when I am done.

Thanks everyone for your contributions, I appreciate the input.

Only problem with .284 Win is brass is harder to get.
Usually just use 6.5x284 lapua brass and neck it up. 1000s of f class shooters are using it every weekend.

Lapua have also released straight .284 brass but so far it's in limited quantities.

Probably not the ideal SHTF setup but plenty obtainable

I have been building and i have been buying rifles in 280AI and 7mmRM.
I have been shooting deer and antelope with both.
Both work to beyond 600 yards with 140 gr Nos Bal Tip bullets.

I like the 7mm 08 idea but I know someone with a .284 reamer so that looks like the route I will go. I will put pics up when I am done.

Thanks everyone for your contributions, I appreciate the input.
Sounds like you already made your decision. I was going to ask what range you are shooting at? You mentioned shooting in your back yard, which suggests shorter ranges.

Might try the smaller cartridges like 7mm BR or 7mm PPC for less powder consumption, old-guy recoil, and a focus on maximum accuracy. Or 7mm TCU if you want to go even smaller. If building a single-shot with a rifle-length barrel, the 7-30 Waters is hard to beat.

For general, all-around use in Europe, I'd probably be looking at 7x57, or maybe 7x64 because Lapua brass and various gun control regs that apply in some countries. I don't know about travel over there, obviously. A good 7x57 on a true Mauser action would make me smile every time.

Back