What's new
What's new

8020 Principle

Bobw

Diamond
Hello trueturning,
Your assessment is way off, large business do not have the time to do what you have said. The fact is; there were many toolmaking business that catered to these aerospace companies years ago, but what happened is that many of these shops turned into cnc production shops. Very few shops today make tools so the ones that are left stay busy through good or bad times.

The problem with following my path is toolmakers are extremely rare. In order to succeed you must train young people to do this work.

Isn't a tool maker just a really really slow machinist?

O

otrlt

Yes Bobw,
We are very slow, but we are paid double. Hopefully, your thinking will make us more wealthy. As I've said before, "The fewer of us, the better".

Have a pleasant evening, I have a very busy week ahead. Good night.

Mike1974

Diamond

That joke is pretty worn, but on the outside it appears true. I was always taught a tool maker could run a job start to finish every machine, every detail. Machinist typically make individual parts in their specialty machine focus

FredC

Titanium
I have used 8020 for ever. Every flat surface in my shop is cluttered with tools, tooling, whatever was in my hand that I no longer needed. I use 20% of those tools 80% of the time, so they are on top of the clutter.
6000 sq ft and I work alone.

I wanted to say I resented your post, but I have to admit I resemble your post instead. I had a real slow period for several weeks and maybe I cleaned up 20% of the horizontal surfaces.

for the original business model seems like ever couple of years cleaning out the bottom customers that cost you time and aggravation would be a good thing, maybe 5% would be a good number. Eighty percent is nuts.

Carpenter Technology may have gone down that road. Sure liked to run their stainless. Some years ago they had a "short stack" sales blitz. Would sell you part of a bar if that was all you needed. I always tried to bundle orders when I bought from them to make my order worthwhile to them. Then they went to $200.00 line item minimum and I still managed to buy from them. Now it is mill runs only, can not handle that anymore. Went with Ox's Swiss Steel mention. Will run those 3/8 416 HT bars soon and see if they are close to Carpenter on machine ability.

Doug

Diamond
................................................................................

Carpenter Technology may have gone down that road. Sure liked to run their stainless. Some years ago they had a "short stack" sales blitz. Would sell you part of a bar if that was all you needed. I always tried to bundle orders when I bought from them to make my order worthwhile to them. Then they went to $200.00 line item minimum and I still managed to buy from them. Now it is mill runs only, can not handle that anymore. Went with Ox's Swiss Steel mention. Will run those 3/8 416 HT bars soon and see if they are close to Carpenter on machine ability.

So that's what happened with Carpenter. I never used much 316 but when I did it was always difficult parts. I'd order a couple bars cut to 6 feet via UPS. When Carpenter dumped me I was able to get Esco's special material from local stock, much less cost than Project 70, but not as good.

What is OX's Swiss stainless?

O

otrlt

That joke is pretty worn, but on the outside it appears true. I was always taught a tool maker could run a job start to finish every machine, every detail. Machinist typically make individual parts in their specialty machine focus

Hello Mike,
A toolmaker makes complete assemblies of which most of these components are not
necessarily made by the toolmaker himself.

The toolmaker is primarily in charged with final assembly/fitting.

Ask any Mold Maker, The toolmaker delegates, most of his tasks.

FredC

Titanium
What is OX's Swiss stainless?

Not actually Ox's company. He just gave a heads up about the name change. One of my suppliers started using Smolz material and liked it. I hung on to buying Carpenter as long as I could. They would still sell to you or me if we wanted to buy a mill run. Maybe a couple of us could split an order.

Schmolz and Bickenbach Name Change = "Swiss Steel"
Swiss Steel is easier to remember just think Swiss cheese but harder and without the holes. Also easier to spell correctly.

Last edited: