What's new
What's new

944 A 9" lathe purchase

Pricing a South Bend can be a daunting task. It is true that the price ranges will change with location. However keep in mind that the cost to go pick up "the crown jewel" can be significant if you have to rent equipment to do the job and it can be very significant if you damage the lathe on some sort of cross-country journey.

There are also other brands of lathes that are at least as good as the South Bend equipment. Think of Logan or Rockwell for example. Atlas made some "workable" lathes if you stay in the larger sizes -- say 10 to 12 inch and they're typically "down market" from the South Bend stuff.

Of course, this information is too late if you already have the lathe! If nobody else has mentioned it, get yourself a copy of South Bend's publication "How To Run a Lathe" which you can find in book form on eBay and in download formats on the internet. It will answer many of the questions you'll have.
This is helpful. Thank you.

There are also other brands of lathes that are at least as good as the South Bend equipment. Think of Logan or Rockwell for example.
Don't forget Sheldon.

It's literally the Rodney Dangerfield of lathes; it don't get no respect.

if you compare a Sheldon to an equivalent South Bend or Logan, you'll see that it's better in almost all measures.

Steve

@MrWhoopee Thank you for your previous advice. This is the information we have gathered. Could you tell me what you think a reasonable offer would be with this considered. Lathe dates to 1945. All still original parts and motor. 12 speed horizontal motor drive 41-1270 rpm. Seems to run smooth. Quick change gear box, automatic apron, 48 screw threads, 48 power feeds (longitudinal and cross). Levers work without inappropriate resistance. Spindles intact. Gears seem in good shape, no visible damage. Ways appear to be in good condition. No rust. No build up of grease or debris. External paint shows peel but appears to have been resealed, no active chipping and no paint chips in the machine. Comes mounted to work table that was built for it, not a south bend bench but does the job. Comes with 4 jaw chuck only, live feed, 2 60 degree centers, draw in collet chuck attachment, collet closer set up, spindle sleeve, threading stop, carriage stop, extra collets and cutting tools and tool holder. No milling attachment. We are on the east coast for whatever difference that makes. South central, PA. Im having trouble finding anything comparable within a reasonable distance to transport. I saw one of this same model that already sold nearby for 1300 that had some new parts including motor but idk if that's better or worse really. And again, I do want to be fair. You had mentioned a reasonable range depending on condition and inclusions, so I wondered where on that line this might fall with added info. Thank you again for your help.

In western Wisconsin, $2,000 is what people ask for one of those.
In Connecticut, you can get one for as little as $1,000.
Heavily depends on what comes with it.
A collet closer setup with collets will set you back $200-$300.
If it comes with a milling attachment, they are worth $300-400.
You will need the threading stop.
You will want a carriage stop, maybe a threading stop.
Can't tell if it has a taper attachment, but that would be a big plus.
Get some more information and the serial number and we can narrow it down.

Steve
Hey Steve. It seems to be in good shape. Dates 1945 has original parts but runs pretty smooth, no build up of grease or debris, no rust, gears and ways in good shape. 12 spd horizontal motor drive. Spindles intact. Quick change gear box. We are in southern PA near MD line, purchasing from northern MD.It does not come with milling attachment but does have collet closer set up. Also taper attachment, live center, 2 60 degree centers, spindle sleeve, wrenches, threading stop, carriage stop, draw in collet chuck attachment, only one 3 jaw chuck, some extra collets and cutting tools and clamps. It is mounted to a workbench that was made for it, not a south bend bench, but does the job. Would you say that makes $2000 reasonable? Or would it be fair to offer $1500? The closest of this model to us that I have seen sell recently went for $1300 over a year ago, had more chucks and a new motor everything else about the same.

Sounds high to me also, especially for southeast PA or MD. I am in SE PA also. I have a 1954ish model 9. It has change gears (I have the full set). I rebuilt it, but its not in great condition regarding the bed. I have a 3 jaw and 4 jaw and some tooling. I am planning on selling it, was thinking this fall. I was thinking around $1000.

Pretty sure the chuck in the picture is a 3-jaw. If there is also a 4-jaw, that's a plus, but a reasonable quality 4-jaw is not that expensive. The collet closer is a definite plus, are the collets included? No indication of whether it has a taper attachment or not, another desireable and valuable option, though rarely used and not essential. A closeup picture of about 6" of the ways starting from the chuck would be a good indication of how much use it's had. The quick change gearbox is a definite plus. I'm still holding with my original estimate range, the amount of wear on the ways being a major factor.

Pretty sure the chuck in the picture is a 3-jaw. If there is also a 4-jaw, that's a plus, but a reasonable quality 4-jaw is not that expensive. The collet closer is a definite plus, are the collets included? No indication of whether it has a taper attachment or not, another desireable and valuable option, though rarely used and not essential. A closeup picture of about 6" of the ways starting from the chuck would be a good indication of how much use it's had. The quick change gearbox is a definite plus. I'm still holding with my original estimate range, the amount of wear on the ways being a major factor.
Thank you. Yes there is taper attachment and collets. No 4 jaw.

Sounds high to me also, especially for southeast PA or MD. I am in SE PA also. I have a 1954ish model 9. It has change gears (I have the full set). I rebuilt it, but its not in great condition regarding the bed. I have a 3 jaw and 4 jaw and some tooling. I am planning on selling it, was thinking this fall. I was thinking around $1000.
Did you mean to type model A? I may be interested in coming to look at this if you are definitely looking to sell it and can tell me what tooling you have. Maybe you could share some pictures?

You mentioned collet closer and drawbar separately. so I'm assuming you have both the lever and the drawtube. The going price on a taper attachment is in the $300-$500 range. You have the thread stop (hasn't been one on ebay for years), carriage stop.
All those accessories would add up if you had to buy them.
I don't think $2,000 is off the mark, even for Connecticut where I used to live.
In CT, $1,500 would be a typical price without the lever collet closer and taper attachment.

Steve

Thank you so much
You mentioned collet closer and drawbar separately. so I'm assuming you have both the lever and the drawtube. The going price on a taper attachment is in the $300-$500 range. You have the thread stop (hasn't been one on ebay for years), carriage stop.
I don't think $2,000 is off the mark, even for Connecticut where I used to live.
In CT, $1,500 would be a typical price without the lever collet closer and taper attachment.

Steve
Thank you so much for your response, Steve. Yes all these things came with the original purchase set and are still together. I really appreciate your assessment.

Steve
Yes, these items were part of original purchase set and still together. Thank you so much for your assessment, Steve. My son says he thinks everything he needs is there, but not knowing current rate of things makes it difficult to estimate. I very much appreciate this help.

Did you mean to type model A? I may be interested in coming to look at this if you are definitely looking to sell it and can tell me what tooling you have. Maybe you could share some pictures?
Sorry for the late reply. I missed this. Mine is a model C. Does not have a quick change gearbox. It has change gears.

Back