What's new
What's new

A few bucks to improve Speedio's coolant nozzles...............

Are folks using the Brother through spindle air just for grippers or for milling steel as well? Steel milling is awesome with through spindle air.

I believe some are.

This is one of those things I am eventually throwing on my machine to start doing some testing with, but that list has a bunch of stuff on it (updated probing macros, exploring G54.2 and G68.2 so we can better support it/work with CAM post devs, new tool setting and probing wrapper programs, testing some wacky spindle gripper tricks, etc etc).

Are folks using the Brother through spindle air just for grippers or for milling steel as well? Steel milling is awesome with through spindle air.
That's exactly the reason I wanted it. 99% of my work is steel, and frankly I'd rather not use cutting fluids except when necessary.

Theres a joint out there that makes metal "loc line" that acts kinda like those flexible indicator bases..............put it where you want it and tighten a nut to lock it in place.....................pretty $$$............can't remember if I saw it in a trade mag or IMTS a few yrs ago.....................
Hirt Make metal LocLine

The spindle housing and ATC are very different between R and S series, has anybody tested these various manifold designs on an R series? I have replaced the majority of the loc-line with rigid pipe but to get coolant on every tool and on the backside of parts I'm still constantly wrestling with 1000 different loc-line nozzles.
They're also easy to bump when operators reach through the side door on the R650, having something tucked out of harms way sounds like a dream.

The spindle housing and ATC are very different between R and S series, has anybody tested these various manifold designs on an R series? I have replaced the majority of the loc-line with rigid pipe but to get coolant on every tool and on the backside of parts I'm still constantly wrestling with 1000 different loc-line nozzles.
They're also easy to bump when operators reach through the side door on the R650, having something tucked out of harms way sounds like a dream.

Have you looked at the Piranha system, which is basically loc-line made out of stainless, and you can lock the joints in place so a bump won't move the nozzle? Not saying it's the ideal solution for you, but it's certainly more robust than loc-line.

The rotating table machines are very limited for coolant. You can't bolt anything behind the spindle as it would hit the Y axis when the head drops and the lines can't get very low or they will hit the table divider when it rotates. When I get time I am going to replace the locline with 1/2" copper tubes. Since I still haven't done anything the ideas are spinning in my head to improve it. I now think I would like to braze balls on the end of the tubes and the nozzle tubes so I can freely rotate them into position then lock them in place with nuts on the other side of the balls. It would make positioning easier and once locked hopefully they would hold position better.

Or maybe just use the compression of locking the tube in place to clamp the ball onto the tube? Yeah, still in product development mode.

Our machine is running production so I can't stick my head in there to evaluate how much clearance really exists, we definitely don't go near the table in Z (10" of workholding between the table and parts) so maybe I can get away with sticking something underneath.
It's mostly rigid pipe already, I still have a few short loc-line nozzles on the end of each coolant pipe to tune the spray but I think the real limitation is in them being fixed to the machine and not following the spindle up/down.
Now that I think about it the easiest option may be to add a TSC pump and just blow coolant through the collets... Not the cheapest option or one that I can fix in a day or two though

The rotating table machines are very limited for coolant. You can't bolt anything behind the spindle as it would hit the Y axis when the head drops and the lines can't get very low or they will hit the table divider when it rotates. When I get time I am going to replace the locline with 1/2" copper tubes. Since I still haven't done anything the ideas are spinning in my head to improve it. I now think I would like to braze balls on the end of the tubes and the nozzle tubes so I can freely rotate them into position then lock them in place with nuts on the other side of the balls. It would make positioning easier and once locked hopefully they would hold position better.

Or maybe just use the compression of locking the tube in place to clamp the ball onto the tube? Yeah, still in product development mode.
Our machine is running production so I can't stick my head in there to evaluate how much clearance really exists, we definitely don't go near the table in Z (10" of workholding between the table and parts) so maybe I can get away with sticking something underneath.
It's mostly rigid pipe already, I still have a few short loc-line nozzles on the end of each coolant pipe to tune the spray but I think the real limitation is in them being fixed to the machine and not following the spindle up/down.
Now that I think about it the easiest option may be to add a TSC pump and just blow coolant through the collets... Not the cheapest option or one that I can fix in a day or two though

I've shared this website a couple times here before. Before you go making/creating your own solutions, I recommend you check out these guys' offerings and see if they've got something off the shelf that works for you. They've got a number of really awesome solutions.

www.qpmproducts.com

Back