What's new
What's new

A Gerstner clone

bhigdog

Stainless
I've posted a few Gerstner type boxes I've made. They were mostly similar except for the type wood and grain. I wasn't planning to make anymore but I was re-stacking one of my wood piles when I stumbled on a few long forgotten rough cut cherry boards I'd picked from a local mom and pop saw mill near me maybe 20 years ago. A closer look and a quick surfacing showed they were nicely figured curly cherry. I wanted to do something with them before they ended up in a wood stove so I made one more box. Curly and what I'll call "smokey" cherry with maple and poplar secondary wood. Gloss Minwax wiping poly 4 coat finish.
I spent a lot of time selecting and arranging the grain pattern and I'm OK with the result.
With the flamboyant grain, brass hardware, and red felt it might be a bit over the top but I like it.
I still have to make the top lid mirror frame for it.........Bob
cb1.jpg

cb2.jpg

cb3.jpg

cb4.jpg

Last edited: Yesterday at 6:41 PM

Nice work, gorgeous wood!

I used to drive around in PA & NY looking for sawmills like that, hoping they had hung on to some highly figured stock. Often someone would throw it up in the rafters. Fun way to spend a day, met some interesting people, and got some super wood.

Nice work, gorgeous wood!

I used to drive around in PA & NY looking for sawmills like that, hoping they had hung on to some highly figured stock. Often someone would throw it up in the rafters. Fun way to spend a day, met some interesting people, and got some super wood.
Sadly the mill is long gone. He used to let me pick through the stacks and take what I wanted for a buck a bf.............Bob

It was an old circular mill just South of Tamaqua, PA. Last owner was John Wickizer. He retired and moved to Las Vegas. One of his relatives owns a mill near Montrose, PA but it's a big operation. John used to have a grader come in and he would pick out and put aside some good boards. I bought some nice curley maple from him. I forget his name but he was from near Montrose also........Bob

Last edited:
There's a small mill called Bailey lumber near me but he caters to the hobby woodworker and charges accordingly. ...........Bob

Back