What's new
What's new

A new Monarch Club member

rickseeman

Cast Iron
Sorry for the long post but I guess my first post in the Monarch forum should say where I'm coming from. My Leblond 15" x 30" Servoshift and I were drifting apart. I was ready for something new. Maybe a HLV-H or a 10EE. I've been shopping for quite a while but there's not much around here for sale. Then I heard about a 10EE coming up for sale 38 miles away. I raced down there. Not a junker thrown outside, but in a major factory's maintenance shop to be used when they needed it. Looked great, had some tooling, the cross slide felt sooo smooth. I was in love. Everything was going good. But then I looked up and a few feet away was her sister. Bigger and longer legged. I guess there is such a thing as love at first sight. A 13" x 30" Series 61 Toolmaker. Bought new at the same time by the same company 65 years ago. I guess they've never been apart. I started to lick my lips. I know the problem of dating sisters, especially at the same time, but what was I going to do? So I brought them both home. I hope to get them unloaded and moved in today or tomorrow. Now the fun part will start. Getting them cleaned up and under power. The plan for now is to put a partition between them so that way one can't see when I'm rubbing on the other. I don't need to get that crap started.IMG_0598.jpg

Yes, I've been buying stuff for a week. At least the 61 is D1-6 so the Leblond chucks will fit but I bet I spend a fortune on the EE.

It looks from the back like a works in a drawer 59 or earlier "vacuum tubes", so what is the drive, original or?
It is good to have a gear head lathe also to take the brunt of the punishment. I found I can do great work on an older ee with considerable wear, and that one is the one I use the most.
The first one is hard to get, them things can get out of hand!

It looks from the back like a works in a drawer 59 or earlier "vacuum tubes", so what is the drive, original or?

It looks to me like the drive has been changed. It's a 1955 machine. I will clean up the electrics and post some photos. Maybe someone can tell me what it is. Large plants like it came out of are 460 in general. I'm 230, 3 phase. I hope I can get it wired up right.

The edges on the ee saddle still look crisp, the info plates look not battered, taper attachment with micrometer still in place, lever collet closer with proper upper rear cover, collet nose, work lamp, perhaps it had an easy life compared to many. Both machines have the same paint.
I recently bought a gearhead lathe of the same size different brand, but good condition also, I would put a proper carriage hand wheel handle on it for that Monarch feel. Its the little things that have already driven me crazy.... Really! looks like you have a great combo there, I am having a good time with my spendy junk!

Thats a very nice pair of lathes to handle a lot of turning projects...rough it on the 61 and finish on the EE.

I should qualify that a little bit more....being able to run cheaper negative rake carbides on a bigger machine to peel off metal is very time efficient. The EE and positive carbides can of course do this same work but require a more gentle touch and more passes. There will be the day when the simplicity of AC motor controls comes in first place as well 8-)

The drive looks changed to me so it's gonna be different. The man did take me to file cabinet for the manuals but I found nothing. By the way thermite thank you for all the helpful posts you do for people.

I should qualify that a little bit more....being able to run cheaper negative rake carbides on a bigger machine to peel off metal is very time efficient. The EE and positive carbides can of course do this same work but require a more gentle touch and more passes. There will be the day when the simplicity of AC motor controls comes in first place as well 8-)

I watched a youtube video the other night. The guy was taking .500" DOC on a 61. Not diameter, DOC. WOW. He turned a 3" bar into a 2" bar in one pass. I won't be trying that.

Good for you on your lucky find. The pair will complement each other, and I am sure they share work with no issues.

John L.

Back