What's new
What's new

A recent find a Grand-NYC boring head

IsleofManFan

Plastic
I found a very nicely made boring head that was made in Germany. It is threaded for a 1-1/2x18 tpi shank but cam with a #2MT taper and a 2MT to 3MT adapter. Does anyone know any info on these well made older boring heads?
20230226_BoringHead1.jpg20230226_BorringHead2.jpg20230226_BoringHead3.jpg

I used to buy a lot of stuff from Grand Tool Supply, who also used the name Tool Importers Inc.. They were in Teterboro, NJ and a lot of their tooling was made in Germany. Some was marked Grand and some TII and they also had Rohm and other German brands. I have not had a catalog from them in many years, so I don't know what sort of things they are now selling. The name is still in business, but directs to a different company website. I think I see Chinese things there.

Larry

Last edited:
I have a couple of those in nmtb50 for 1" bars. They're flimsy and not good for much besides finishing a smooth bore.

Yes, but look at the design. The part that holds the actual cutting tool is sticking out on a fairly narrow neck. If it had been flanged so there was support on two sides on the face of the body it would be more rigid.
It is threaded for a 1-1/2x18 tpi
So the head is about 3" diameter with 1/2" tool holes and a 2MT shank. Does not look like huge cuts were anticipated in the design. Sharp tools are always assumed, I suppose.

Larry

Yes, but look at the design. The part that holds the actual cutting tool is sticking out on a fairly narrow neck. If it had been flanged so there was support on two sides on the face of the body it would be more rigid.
Thank you for the expanation; I will use it for light boring!

Is it me, or does it look a lot like a FLYNN brand head ? ? ?

--Doozer
I searched Flynn boring head and they are exact; probably the Detroit seller of the same boring head. Looks like a contractor made the boring head and let the seller rename like many others have done.

Thank you for the replies, I will be using the Criterion head for heavier boring this one was $34 delivered, it'll be fine for small projects...

Back