What's new
What's new

A tip for scraping turcite.

Peter.

Titanium
I thought I would share a trick I have been using to scrape turcite this past month. If you take one of those cheap paint scrapers with the replaceable carbide blades, remove the blade and replace it with an ordinary hand scraping tip. It works fantastic for pull-scraping turcite, no digging in and leaves little or no burr. You can use an unmodified blade with its very wide radius for taking off large areas, or fit a 60- or 90-mm radius blade for smaller point scraping. No special grind required just use it as sharpened for push-scraping.

scraper.jpg

I've found the best ways for scraping turcite roughing is using a # 30 -150 Biax blade with a 140 factory ground factory blade. Holding it in your hand alone wear a glove and hold just the 6" long blade with no handscraper. 5 deg. Neg rake.

For finishing I use a Biax 1/2 moon flaker blade 60 radius. A Biax flaker blade is also radiused on the bottom so it doesn't dig in. Also grind the rake to neg. 12 deg. I discovered using the flaker blade when I taught in Taiwan where the factories use a lot of Turcite. We also pull scraped in the female side of box ways using a 20x150 60 radius, blade mounted a Biax handscraper holding it vertically and putting it. I try to not pulling it longer then 1/2" and down to 1/8" and 20 PPI. When scraping Turcite measured depth is .002".

I've found the best ways for scraping turcite roughing is using a # 30 -150 Biax blade with a 140 factory ground factory blade. Holding it in your hand alone wear a glove and hold just the 6" long blade with no handscraper. 5 deg. Neg rake.

For finishing I use a Biax 1/2 moon flaker blade 60 radius. A Biax flaker blade is also radiused on the bottom so it doesn't dig in. Also grind the rake to neg. 12 deg. I discovered using the flaker blade when I taught in Taiwan where the factories use a lot of Turcite. We also pull scraped in the female side of box ways using a 20x150 60 radius, blade mounted a Biax handscraper holding it vertically and putting it. I try to not pulling it longer then 1/2" and down to 1/8" and 20 PPI. When scraping Turcite measured depth is .002".

I was previously pull-scraping it with my regular scraper held vertical (just leaned back) and it worked well, but I found the little scraper above much more comfortable. You can also make very small point-splitting scrapes with decent depths by guiding it with your other thumb against one edge.

I may make a dedicated tool for doing this, it works so well.

Back