What's new
What's new

Accuracy of Brother W1000Xd2

You three are all far smarter than me, so there may be an obvious reason to discount this, but why not use the Brother to bar pull the stock?

Spindle gripper to push it into the vise, clamp, cutoff, spindle gripper to push it back out to the edge of travel.

Bar feeder could be as simple as some V rollers with something to provide some resistance or clamping while the machine runs.
Those spindle grippers are awesome and a great price compared to a robot. Also far easier programming. Would get a 1000 and stack the table. Vice in middle and finished parts on other side. I have even seen guys flip parts with it so depending could be a 1 and done set up. May be 2 air or hydraulic vises and you're done.

I have been looking at GimbleAutomation.

Those spindle grippers are awesome and a great price compared to a robot. Also far easier programming. Would get a 1000 and stack the table. Vice in middle and finished parts on other side. I have even seen guys flip parts with it so depending could be a 1 and done set up. May be 2 air or hydraulic vises and you're done.

I have been looking at GimbleAutomation.
What about covering your raw stock with chips? Just a thought but how about a conveyor belt feeding blanks into the machine? They would be kept cleaner and allow more to be staged.

Quick question as I don't want to derail the thread, but are 6 axis robots that hard to program? They certainly are more versatile.

What about covering your raw stock with chips? Just a thought but how about a conveyor belt feeding blanks into the machine? They would be kept cleaner and allow more to be staged.

Quick question as I don't want to derail the thread, but are 6 axis robots that hard to program? They certainly are more versatile.
Chips are no issue but would really depend on Part size. These are for smaller parts with not a ton of material removal, Program an X move with coolant to wash off. Then grip new stock. The robot is a stand along set up. Hours spent aligning and setting up. Then getting it to communicate and the program for your machine. Your $50k minimum into it. The link i posted above, you would be around $4k with minor program edits and up and running same day if planned out.

Large pieces, your likely better off with a robot and a cell.

Use chipbreaker endmills and turn on full flood when gripping and transfering. I don't even clean my blanks anymore.

During the initial probing, I do my X and Y probing with the stylus about 0.020 above the surface of the part. That way if there's a large chip sitting under the part, it'll sit high and alarm out. A single Z probe alone is insufficient because it might hit a low spot and miss a high spot.

This is the huge benefit of spindle gripping over robot tending. You can't flood the machine when using a robot in most cases.

Use chipbreaker endmills and turn on full flood when gripping and transfering. I don't even clean my blanks anymore.

During the initial probing, I do my X and Y probing with the stylus about 0.020 above the surface of the part. That way if there's a large chip sitting under the part, it'll sit high and alarm out. A single Z probe alone is insufficient because it might hit a low spot and miss a high spot.

This is the huge benefit of spindle gripping over robot tending. You can't flood the machine when using a robot in most cases.
I like this method of probe verification that parts are seated:
But if you can be comp'ing your offsets AND checking parts are seated in the same moves that's probably faster

Reactions: pcd

Back