What's new
What's new

"Accurizing" a new Haas UMC-750

npete300

Plastic
Hello All,

I have a 2021 Haas UMC-750. I want to ask a couple of questions to those of you that have knowledge on this subject.

I want to improve the overall accuracy of the machine. Haas set-up the machine in a standard fashion, the machine

is sitting on 8" of concrete. I have the accuracy specs from a Haas service document, so I know what is expected.

I am talking improving the entire volume of the work envelope, not a special case for a particular part or feature.

What are people doing out there to improve the accuracy of the machine?

What is the best practice to predictably hit tight positional tolerances between rotations with this machine.

Thanks!

MaxPrairie

Hot Rolled
Curious, what are the accuracy specs you have been given? The closer your part is to the center of rotation the more accurate the translations will be.

npete300

Plastic
I am doing some accuracy tests to determine what tolerances the machine is capable of holding.

Yes I have a tooling ball to run the MRZP Cal with. I have moved beyond relying on MRZP auto cal and started taking cuts on a test block to

fine tune the pivot points. I am curious if anyone has done a more in-depth mechanical alignment / laser cal of the machine, and what were the results.

mhajicek

Titanium
There are places that will do a laser and ballbar calibration to fine tune the machine as well as it can be. Productivity Quality does that around here.

coyoinu

Aluminum
MRZP is supposed to be good for .005" or so across the work volume of the machine, and it'll get you about that close when well-calibrated. Hopefully you got the updated model with the new casting and the smaller door, and the thermal comp values are good (the UMCs generally are). New rotaries have linear scales now? Non-SS models have a finer ball screw.

If you want to get any closer than .005", you'll need to make multiple work offsets rather than relying on the MRZP translations. Once you're measuring tenths, you'll notice that actuating the brakes on the rotaries makes things move around a teeny bit.

npete300

Plastic
Coyoinu,

Thank you for that reply, what you stated with the .005 is what I am seeing.

I am curious... when you say probe for location. What is your method for doing this?

Haas does not support probing while DWO is active. Not to mention if there is no reference surface to probe.

Billy_C

Aluminum
This thread is a little old but it popped up in my feed. Spot-on kinematics cal is an art especially on the UMCs. The automatic MRZP full calibration routine is trash. There are no Haas HFO techs in our area that are capable of actual kinematics calibration but maybe your region is different. I'm not sure what the deal is because a few years ago they sent a "kinematics guru" dude from Haas HQ California to get our UMC750 dialed in and it still made poo parts. In the end I had to develop a process and even that requires a methodical approach with lots careful adjustments and patients. Once all said and done, multiaxis blends come out on the money which means things are within a .001 off axis. An advantage of the UMCs is that they are so light that even a thinner floor won't move much after things are settled initially. Just don't crash it or that calibration goes to crap.

huleo

Hot Rolled
First step.....Remove said Haas from shop
Second step...Put an Okuma in it's place....

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I am done with them.