What's new
What's new

"Accurizing" a new Haas UMC-750

npete300

Plastic
Hello All,

I have a 2021 Haas UMC-750. I want to ask a couple of questions to those of you that have knowledge on this subject.

I want to improve the overall accuracy of the machine. Haas set-up the machine in a standard fashion, the machine

is sitting on 8" of concrete. I have the accuracy specs from a Haas service document, so I know what is expected.

I am talking improving the entire volume of the work envelope, not a special case for a particular part or feature.

What are people doing out there to improve the accuracy of the machine?

What is the best practice to predictably hit tight positional tolerances between rotations with this machine.

Thanks!

Curious, what are the accuracy specs you have been given? The closer your part is to the center of rotation the more accurate the translations will be.

I am doing some accuracy tests to determine what tolerances the machine is capable of holding.

Yes I have a tooling ball to run the MRZP Cal with. I have moved beyond relying on MRZP auto cal and started taking cuts on a test block to

fine tune the pivot points. I am curious if anyone has done a more in-depth mechanical alignment / laser cal of the machine, and what were the results.

There are places that will do a laser and ballbar calibration to fine tune the machine as well as it can be. Productivity Quality does that around here.

MRZP is supposed to be good for .005" or so across the work volume of the machine, and it'll get you about that close when well-calibrated. Hopefully you got the updated model with the new casting and the smaller door, and the thermal comp values are good (the UMCs generally are). New rotaries have linear scales now? Non-SS models have a finer ball screw.

If you want to get any closer than .005", you'll need to make multiple work offsets rather than relying on the MRZP translations. Once you're measuring tenths, you'll notice that actuating the brakes on the rotaries makes things move around a teeny bit.

Coyoinu,

Thank you for that reply, what you stated with the .005 is what I am seeing.

I am curious... when you say probe for location. What is your method for doing this?

Haas does not support probing while DWO is active. Not to mention if there is no reference surface to probe.

This thread is a little old but it popped up in my feed. Spot-on kinematics cal is an art especially on the UMCs. The automatic MRZP full calibration routine is trash. There are no Haas HFO techs in our area that are capable of actual kinematics calibration but maybe your region is different. I'm not sure what the deal is because a few years ago they sent a "kinematics guru" dude from Haas HQ California to get our UMC750 dialed in and it still made poo parts. In the end I had to develop a process and even that requires a methodical approach with lots careful adjustments and patients. Once all said and done, multiaxis blends come out on the money which means things are within a .001 off axis. An advantage of the UMCs is that they are so light that even a thinner floor won't move much after things are settled initially. Just don't crash it or that calibration goes to crap.

What you are asking about is called Acu set we just had a umc 1000 done they run a program and it outputs data to thumb drive they run that thru a laptop and it gives the numbers to input in control it helped ours. We also ran a deprint for a few days they used that data to fix the thermal growth problem we were having
Don

What you are asking about is called Acu set we just had a umc 1000 done they run a program and it outputs data to thumb drive they run that thru a laptop and it gives the numbers to input in control it helped ours. We also ran a deprint for a few days they used that data to fix the thermal growth problem we were having
Don
That sounds interesting, was this through your HFO?

Coyoinu,

Thank you for that reply, what you stated with the .005 is what I am seeing.

I am curious... when you say probe for location. What is your method for doing this?

Haas does not support probing while DWO is active. Not to mention if there is no reference surface to probe.
I just noticed your question we wrote a macro to probe with the b axis at 90 and it transforms the data to b 0 so the dwo will work
Don

Hello All,

I have a 2021 Haas UMC-750. I want to ask a couple of questions to those of you that have knowledge on this subject.

I want to improve the overall accuracy of the machine. Haas set-up the machine in a standard fashion, the machine

is sitting on 8" of concrete. I have the accuracy specs from a Haas service document, so I know what is expected.

I am talking improving the entire volume of the work envelope, not a special case for a particular part or feature.

What are people doing out there to improve the accuracy of the machine?

What is the best practice to predictably hit tight positional tolerances between rotations with this machine.

Thanks!
We have two of these machines, in my opinion they are good for farm equipment. We dicked around for a good bit getting them tuned in to what we wanted. We had a company come in and Laser Level all of our machines and that def helped improve the UMC 750s.

I would keep and eye on your angles and rotations when machining, that is where we were having the biggest issue with accuracy.

We have two of these machines, in my opinion they are good for farm equipment. We dicked around for a good bit getting them tuned in to what we wanted. We had a company come in and Laser Level all of our machines and that def helped improve the UMC 750s.

I would keep and eye on your angles and rotations when machining, that is where we were having the biggest issue with accuracy.
I am interested in the laser leveling. Are your machines on an isolated foundation of any sort? Any trouble with machine feet coming loose? I have had to tighten the feet up twice in 10 months on this machine, which I assume would affect the laser level because I have to dial in the geometry again.

What rotary drive mechanism do the UMCs have? Worm gears for the non SS models and harmonic drives for the SS?

Warren buffet quote: price is what you pay, value is what YOU get.

What rotary drive mechanism do the UMCs have? Worm gears for the non SS models and harmonic drives for the SS?

Warren buffet quote: price is what you pay, value is what YOU get.
Cycloidal Rotary Drives on the Re-Boot gen.

Thank you for the quote!

Reactions: mkd

Back